UA hires new associate athletic director

On Monday, the UA announced that Ross Cobb was hired as senior associate athletic director for business operations.

Cobb, who has worked for 17 years in college sports, comes to Arizona from the University of Texas at San Antonio, where he was senior associate athletic director for business and facilities. Cobb will start at the UA in June 2014.

“We’re excited to welcome Ross to Arizona Athletics,” said UA athletic director Greg Byrne in a press release. “With one of our five goals and principles being to practice sound fiscal management, this position is extremely important to the current health and future growth of the athletics department. Ross brings a successful track record of operating within budget, while managing the intricacies presented in collegiate athletics. We think he’ll do a wonderful job and look forward to working with him.”

Cobb oversaw UTSA’s $25 million dollar annual budget, according to the UA, and served as the “sport administrator” for the baseball and women’s volleyball teams.

Cobb was president of the College Athletic Business Management Association during the 2010-11 academic year and was voted its Manager of the Year in 2012.

“I am extremely happy to be joining Arizona Athletics and want to thank Director of Athletics Greg Byrne for the opportunity,” Cobb said. “It is an honor and privilege to work at this fine institution with such a rich athletics history and tradition. I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the Wildcat family and getting to work on June 1.”

Cobb was assistant athletic director for business at Georgia Southern University and worked for five years at The Landings Club, Inc., a private golf club located in Savannah, Ga. and for Northwestern State University before going to UTSA.

—Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520