HALFTIME: Washington leads 11-6 over Wildcats football

SEATTLE— Arizona managed to score a touchdown with seconds on the clock after a challenging first half.

The situation, just like the weather, was bleak from the beginning.

The Wildcats won the coin toss and elected to receive but in a matter of seconds of the opening drive, both senior quarterback B.J. Denker and junior running back Ka’Deem Carey were held to only one yard a piece. On third down, Denker’s pass was intercepted at the Arizona 43.

Arizona’s first drive lasted 1:05.

The Huskies went on to score a touchdown off the interception in five plays. Their extra point attempt, however, was no good.

6-0, Huskies.

Arizona’s defense prevented a complete domination. This included big tackles by freshman linebacker Scooby Wright and senior linebacker Marquis Flowers.

Senior corner, Shaquille Richardson gave the Wildcats a glimmer of hope with a 19-yard return off of an interception.

The pick was in vain however, as Denker was sacked in the first play of the drive. The Wildcats couldn’t manage to convert, and sophomore punter Drew Riggleman had a 26-yard punt.

The rain kept pouring in Seattle and the effects were felt on the field. Runners slipped, defense had difficulty getting a hand on tackles. Most evident was a snap to Riggleman late in the first quarter that slipped through his hands, which the Huskies recovered in the end-zone for a safety, putting them 8-0.

After a brief intermission, the Huskies came out strong and scored a field goal.
11-0, Huskies.

Carey finally found an opening, and had a 13-yard rush, good for a first down. This was the Wildcats’ first, first down of the evening.

The 2nd quarter remained calm on both sides until Denker made a huge 33-yard run with seconds on the clock.

Carey squeezed into the end-zone with 6 seconds left on the clock for a touchdown. Senior kicker, Jake Smith’s extra point attempt was no good.

End of the first half score is 11-6

—Follow Scarlett McCourt @scarlettnoelani