Get your bid on

Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Freshman girls run down Mountain Avenue to their houses after finding what what sorority they got in at the Student Union Sunday Aug. 22 2010. Bid day is a university tradition. 

Delta Tau Delta
Rodney Haas
Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat Freshman girls run down Mountain Avenue to their houses after finding what what sorority they got in at the Student Union Sunday Aug. 22 2010. Bid day is a university tradition. Delta Tau Delta

UA Greek Life celebrated the last day of summer with its annual Bid Day for women rushing sororities.

Each of the approximately 1,200 women sat in the Student Union Memorial Center, eagerly waiting the moment they could open their bids and see which sorority invited them to become a member.

The recruitment counselors kept them in suspense by putting on a show to reveal which houses the counselors are a part of — a secret kept through the whole process.

The show ended with each girl opening her bid envelope while screams filled the air.

“”I was so excited to receive my bid for Gamma Phi Beta,”” said Tori Zukowski, a retail and consumer sciences freshman. “”I was super nervous because rushing is such a long process.””

Potential new members spend six days going to the sorority houses on campus.

“”The rush process was amazing,”” said Bree Youngquist, a retail and consumer science freshman and pledge sister. “”It was easy to choose a house because I instantly fell in love with Gamma Phi Beta.””

Zukowski added, “”I am so excited to meet new people and I had a blast rushing. I would not do anything different at all. It was an amazing experience.””

After receiving their bids, the new sorority women ran down the stairs of the student union to members of the houses carrying large Greek letters.

Pandemonium surrounded Greek Row when hundreds of people greeted the new members with music, signs, water slides and matching T-shirts.