Arizona track and field distance teams compete at GCU Antelope Invitational

Arizona sprinter Umajesty Williams runs down the track during on of their seasonal meets held at the Roy P. Drachman Track and Field Stadium. (Courtesy photo by Chris Hook/Arizona Athletics.)

The Arizona track and field distance teams ran at the GCU Antelope Invitational in Phoenix, Arizona on Saturday, April 3. The Wildcats sent a total of 17 distance runners to the invitational.

Women’s Distance Team

Freshman Alisa Lyesina ran for the Wildcats in the 800 meter. Lyesina finished eighth with a time of 2:11.37. 

Freshman Peyton Heiden, sophomore Maddy Christopher and junior Megan Bounds competed in the 1500 meters. Heiden finished No. 11 with a time of 4:33.70. Christopher finished No. 17 with a time of 4:41.62, a personal best. Bounds finished No. 25 with a time of 4:57.52, a personal best. 

The last event of the day was the 5,000 meter. Senior Bailey Johnson, freshman Grace Driskill and sophomores Meggie Karp and Keelah Barger ran for the Wildcats. Driskill, Barger and Johnson finished seventh, eighth and ninth. Driskill’s time was 17:15.53, Barger’s time was 17:36.10 and Johnson’s time was 17:38.75. Karp finished No. 12 with a time of 18:07.33.

Men’s Distance Team

Freshmen Coleton O’Donnell and Luke Biondolillo and sophomores Timothy Kibet and Camron Herron ran for the Wildcats in the 800 meters. Herron finished second with a time of 1:49.97, a personal best. Kibet finished No. 12 with a time of 1:54.44. Biondolillo finished close behind at No. 13 with a time of 1:55.92. 

Former UA runner Carlos Villarreal won the race with a time of 1:48.84. Villarreal was competing as an unattached post-collegiate athlete so the win did not count for the Wildcats. 

RELATED: Sam Thomas is the glue that keeps Arizona women’s basketball together

Only one Wildcat, freshman Christian Montoya, ran in the 1,500 meter. Montoya finished No. 19 with a time of 4:08.78, a personal best. 

The 5,000 meter run was the best event of the day for the Wildcats. Junior Victor Ortiz-Rivera won the race with a time of 13:59.85. Sophomore Shem Kemboi finished fifth with a time of 14:42.73. Freshmen Galvin Curley and Brandon Bounds finished No. 15 and No. 17. Curley’s time was 15:57.29 and Bounds’ time was 16:19.44. 

The Arizona track and field team will compete in the Jim Click shootout and multis at Roy P. Drachman Stadium on April 8-10. 

Follow Sean Fagan on Twitter