Campus clubs compete for Homecoming cash prizes

Sam Shumaker / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Pre-pharmacy sophomore Amy Naber, left, for the UA womens ruby club and pre-physiology sophomore Cassie Casanova, for the twirl cats club, race through a blow-up obstacle course in the UA club olympics on the UA Mall Monday. The race, put on by UA Bobcats, is the first of many events through Friday where clubs compete for extra funding.
Sam Shumaker
Sam Shumaker / Arizona Daily Wildcat Pre-pharmacy sophomore Amy Naber, left, for the UA women’s ruby club and pre-physiology sophomore Cassie Casanova, for the twirl cats club, race through a blow-up obstacle course in the UA club olympics on the UA Mall Monday. The race, put on by UA Bobcats, is the first of many events through Friday where clubs compete for extra funding.

Members of campus clubs raced through an inflatable obstacle course Monday, kicking off a week of competitions before Homecoming. The Bobcats Senior Honorary will continue to hold a different challenge on the UA Mall between noon and 1 p.m. every day of Homecoming week. The remaining events include sumo wrestling, pie throwing and tug-of-war.

Clubs collect points throughout the week based on how they place in each competition. The club with the most points at the end of the week will win $1,000. Clubs ranked second and third will also receive money.

“”It’s based on those events and also things like spirit,”” said physics senior Mike Stefferson, a member of Bobcats Senior Honorary.

Bobcats Senior Honorary holds the competitions annually along with other traditions, such as the yearly lighting of “”A”” Mountain.

Psychology senior Lindsay Cohen, a member of Bobcats Senior Honorary, said the competitions raise interest in Homecoming weekend.

“”It’s for spirit before Homecoming,”” Cohen said. “”It also serves as a good fundraiser for clubs.””

Several groups, including the Mortar Board National Senior Honor Society, Students Optics Chapter, and Chain Gang Junior Honorary have signed up to participate this year.

Chemical engineering sophomore Daniel Tellez represented Sophos Sophomore Honorary in the obstacle course race, which included a pool at the end. Tellez got second place.

“”I lost,”” Tellez said. “”It was really slippery over there.””

He said the course was a fun way to celebrate Homecoming week.

“”I wasn’t expecting to get this wet today,”” Tellez said. “”It’s a great environment to be in.””

Some students watched the event between classes or while walking past the Mall.

“”It looks pretty fun,”” said Candy Horton, a graduate studying special education. “”It’s a great way to kick off Homecoming week.””

Tellez said the competitions build community, even between competitors.

“”Especially when all the honoraries come together,”” Tellez said. “”Everyone just gets a little closer.””