Police Beat: Sept. 21

Man flees from police because that’s how he ‘rolls’

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to an assistance call in the area of Second Street and Vine Avenue on Sept. 12 at 2:20 a.m. in reference to a man attempting to flee. According to police, the subject was being interviewed when he ran from officers and jumped over a fence at 1423 E. First St. Officers located the man in a parking lot near Vine Avenue but when the officers approached the man, he began to run. Police chased the man and were able to take him into custody and place him in handcuffs. He was identified by his Colorado driver’s license and told police he had been drinking at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house at 1050 N. Cherry Ave. Officers asked the man why he ran and he told them, “”Me and my buddies didn’t want to deal with the police. I decided to roll out. I had a little bit to drink.”” The man refused police attempts to administer any tests for intoxication and was then transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked on the charge of minor in possession. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students office.

Intoxicated cyclist tries to sleep it off

UAPD officers responded to the area of Vine Avenue and Second Street on Sept. 12 at 3:30 a.m. in reference to an injured man. Upon arrival, they met with a man who told them another man had passed out on a bicycle rack in front of the Steward Observatory Annex. Officers made contact with the unconscious man and woke him up. According to police, he was disoriented and exhibiting signs of intoxication. The man told police he had been drinking at the fraternity he was pledging. Officers ran a check of the man’s name and confirmed that he was a student and underage. Officers told the man that he was not going to be cited but the incident would be referred to the Dean of Students. The man was released on scene.

Parking permit taken from vehicle

UAPD officers responded to the Main Gate parking garage on Sept. 12 at 8:47 a.m. in reference to a damaged vehicle. Upon arrival, police met with the owner of a Ford Taurus who claimed that his driver’s side door lock had been punched in. He led police to his vehicle and showed them the damage to his door. He told police that he parked his car on Sept. 10 at 3 a.m. and had returned on Sept. 11 at 3 a.m. to find the damage. He also told police that his parking permit was the only item removed from his car. Police notified Parking and Transportation Services about the stolen permit. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Police interrupt student’s liquid breakfast

UAPD officers observed a male subject drink from a red cup at 1535 E. First St. on Sept. 12 at 11:15 a.m. When the man saw police, he began walking in a different direction. Police watched as he passed by a garbage can and threw away his red cup. Police recovered the cup and suspected its contents to be vodka and cranberry juice. Police then made contact with the man and asked him what was in the cup. The man told police that it was vodka and cranberry juice. He was identified as underage and cited on charges of minor in possession and drinking in public. He was released on scene.

Woman in bathing suit stumbles her way to citation

UAPD officers observed an apparently intoxicated female at the Gamma Phi Beta sorority house, 1535 E. First St. on Sept. 12 at 11:30 a.m. According to police, the woman was stumbling while walking along First Street and was wearing nothing but a bathing suit. Police made contact with the woman, who could barely stand during questioning. Her speech was slurred, her eyes were bloodshot and police could detect the strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth as she spoke. The woman was cited on charges of minor in possession and she was released into the custody of a female friend.

Man consumes 10 shots, gets into trouble with police

UAPD officers were on patrol westbound on First Street on Sept. 12 at 12:30 a.m. when they observed a man sitting on the curb just north of the intersection of First Street and Vine Avenue As officers approached, the man attempted to stand up but appeared to be unable to do so. Officers made contact with the man and identified him using his California driver’s license. Police asked the man if he had been drinking and he replied, “”Yes. I had 10 shots.”” The man was cited on charges of minor in possession and released on scene.

Sweaty beer drinker caught having too much fun

UAPD officers were on patrol in an alley behind Sigma Alpha Epsilon at 1509 E. Second St. on Sept. 12 at 12:30 a.m. when they observed a male subject sitting on the bumper of a car drinking from a 12-ounce can of beer. Police made contact with the man and identified him using his Colorado driver’s license. According to police, the man was sweaty, his eyes were bloodshot and the strong odor of intoxicants was coming from his mouth during questioning. Officers cited the man on charges of minor in possession and released him on scene.

Inebriated woman argues with RAs, gets visit from cops

UAPD officers responded to the Coronado Residence Hall on Sept. 12 at 12:51 a.m. in reference to an intoxicated woman arguing with resident assistants. Upon arrival, officers met with an RA who identified the intoxicated woman. Police made contact with the woman and identified her using her California driver’s license. According to police, the woman’s speech was slurred, she swayed back and forth during questioning and the strong odor of intoxicants was coming from her mouth as she spoke. The woman admitted to police that she had been drinking at Sigma Alpha Epsilon, where she had approximately three shots of vodka. A breath test confirmed the presence of alcohol in the woman’s body. She was cited on charges of minor in possession and released.