Police Beat

Car- and foot-chase ends in multiple charges
    A man was arrested on multiple charges including DUI and unlawful flight from a pursuing law enforcement vehicle Nov. 28 at 11:55 p.m.

An officer saw a car run over a sidewalk while turning right onto East Speedway Boulevard from Mountain Avenue. The officer got behind the car and attempted to pull it over. The car’s speed increased from 40 mph to between 45 and 50 mph. The officer repeatedly used his siren and air horn to attempt to stop the car, but it did not stop. Dispatch advised the officer that there was an active attempt by Tucson Police Department to locate the vehicle with the license plate because it evaded and fled from a TPD officer in the area of Speedway Boulevard and Cherry Avenue.

The car then turned sharply into the Taco Bell on East Speedway Boulevard and North Campbell Avenue, running over a sidewalk. The car then entered the drive-through going approximately 25 mph. It was forced to stop due to another vehicle blocking its path on the opposite end of the drive-through lane.

A man stepped out of the vehicle, looked at the officer, and began walking away from the vehicle around its front end. The officer told the driver to stay in the car as he was exiting and return to his car once he began walking away from it. The man came around the front of his vehicle, climbed over the wall separating the Taco Bell drive-through from an alley and ran across the Wendy’s parking lot toward the University of Arizona Police Department station. The officer advised dispatch of the man’s description and direction of travel. The officer then detained the passenger in the car, who refused to identify the driver.

Another officer found the man who ran away from the scene in the area near North Campbell Road and University Boulevard. The officer went to the area to identify the man and take him back to the Taco Bell area. A person who witnessed the man run away from the officer also identified him.

Officers noticed that he smelled strongly of intoxicants. He refused a field sobriety test.

The man requested an opportunity to call his lawyer. After he hung up he told officers that he did not drive that evening. He said he was returning from Fourth Avenue where he had been drinking all night. He told officers he did not care about any of the information they read him from the implied consent affidavit, saying, “”I don’t care about any of that. I will blow in your machine. My license is suspended anyway. You can’t do noting about it, motherfucker.”” He also repeatedly stated, “”Let me blow in your machine. I know they are inaccurate. Take me to jail motherfucker.””

The man was given a portable breath test. His BAC was .106 and, around ten minutes later, .097. When officers told the man his BAC he replied with, “”I’ve been telling you. I’m drunk.””

The car was searched, and a loaded handgun was found. There was more ammunition in the trunk. A records check showed that the handgun was stolen during a burglary case with TPD. The weapon was confiscated. The car was towed and impounded because the owner of the vehicle could not be reached. The passenger was released on scene.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail where he was book for DUI while impaired to the slightest degree, DUI with a BAC greater than .08, driving on a suspended license/court action, failure to stop as directed by law enforcement, and unlawful flight from pursuing law enforcement vehicle.

Man drives with BAC higher than .20
    A man was cited for DUI after having a BAC over .20 Nov. 29 at 10:39 p.m.

An officer observed a car traveling west on East Sixth Street past Fremont Avenue going 41 mph in a 30 mph zone. He was pulled over. The officer immediately noticed that the man smelled of intoxicants. There was also a six-pack of beer cans in the back, although two were missing, and a six-pack of beer bottles. The officer asked him if he had been drinking and he said yes, he was drinking at a buddy’s house and had three 12 ounce cans of beer.

He was given a field sobriety test and taken to UAPD for further processing. He agreed to take the breath test. Two were given, showing a BAC of .240 and .245.

The man was charged with DUI-impairment to the slightest degree, DUI with a BAC over .08, extreme DUI, and speeding. He was released to a friend.

Man brings liquor in flask to basketball game
    A man was cited and released for drinking in public Nov. 30 at 2:43 p.m.

Police were approached by a man at the UA vs. NAU basketball game who told them he saw one man take out a flask and pour a liquid into his and another person’s cup. He pointed the men out to the police.

Police made contact with the man. They noted that he had glassy eyes and smelled slightly of intoxicants. While standing there, he said, “”I guess that’s why they don’t sell alcohol here.”” He handed police a silver flask. Police reported that it smelled strongly of intoxicants.

The man was taken to a room to speak with police. He told them that he brought a client to the game and they had a couple of drinks before going to the game. He said that he did not pour alcohol into his client’s cup.

The man was cited and released for drinking in public. His ticket was confiscated and he was escorted from the building.