Arizona softball ends fall season with Alumni game

For homecoming weekend the Arizona softball team will host an alumni game on Friday at Hillenbrand Stadium at 8:30 p.m. to close out its fall season.

Admission to the game will be free on a first come, first serve basis.

Prior to the game, director of operations Caitlin Lowe will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at McKale Center at 6 p.m.

The 1993 National Championship team will be honored in a ceremony preceeding the game. Midway through the game, Rocky LaRose, Arizona deputy athletic director and former Wildcat softball player, will be recognized as well.

“I think our program is built around our rich tradition,” head coach Mike Candrea said. “From the past, these athletes have many accomplishments and it is great to get them back on campus. To me, it’s bridging the past with the present.”

According to Candrea, in his 28 years as head coach it is been traditional to host an alumni game every other year to recognize the Wildcats’ eight championship teams.

“Anytime I can put some of these kids in front of our former players, I think it helps connect to the history of Arizona softball and gives them a better picture of who these people are and what they represent.”

On Friday, 47 former players, manager and coaches will be in attendance.

This star-studded event has special meaning for Candrea because he has personally seen what these individuals have accomplished, and he wants his current players to understand that as well.

“It’s not so much about what they did, but who they are today and being able to see their careers after leaving softball,” Candrea said.