Class plans winter-themed event before finals

A winter-themed casino, snow and an ice-skating rink could be on the UA Mall this December if a class receives the funding to make it possible.

The event planning and leadership class, EDL 281, is planning a night of poker, dancing and possibly snow for students to enjoy the night before “”dead day,”” said Tommy Bruce, Associated Students of the University of Arizona presidential chief of staff.

Bruce, who is in the class, said it is a UA tradition to hold a variety of late-night events before dead day, but this year his class is taking charge of the Dec. 6 activities.

“”We voted as a class, and the winter theme is what we wanted,”” said Amy Shook, a history senior. “”It would be like moving Wilbur’s Underground up into a public area so everyone can play around and have a good time.””

A snow machine and an ice-skating rink on

It was something we thought would be fun for
    December. Snow is something you don’t see often in Tucson.

– Tommy Bruce
    ASUA presidential chief of staff

the Mall were ideas that were passed around, but their likelihood depends on the funding the class receives, Shook said.

“”It was something we thought would be fun for December,”” Bruce said. “”Snow is something you don’t see often in Tucson.””

“”One of the main things we’ll have is poker,”” Shook said. “”And we got gift certificates from a lot of the local businesses.””

Wilbur’s Underground is lending many of its arcade games, including Dance Dance Revolution, to the class, Shook said.

The event will likely cost around $5,000, so the class is relying heavily on grants and contributions from local companies, Bruce said.

Kathy Adams Rieser, assistant director of student involvement in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, said a winter fun day is a fantastic idea.

“”But they need all the funding to do what they want to do,”” she added.

The class wants to create a safe environment for students on dead day eve, which is historically a night with increased DUIs and alcohol-related injuries, Bruce said.

Normally, because there are no classes the next morning, there is extra incentive for people to party and drink alcohol, said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, University of Arizona Police Department spokesman.

“”We may see an increase in the need for medical assistance calls,”” Mejia said. “”That could be people vomiting or being non-responsive.””

The late-night event on campus would be a “”safe outlet”” for students to stop by, have coffee and enjoy themselves for free, Bruce said.

Although there have been similar ideas, this particular event has never been done at the UA, Adams Riester said.

Rachel Martin, a communication and business junior, said the assignment will be not be graded on the event itself but on how much the class learned from it and how to improve it.

“”Next semester a new class can look over our notes and see what we did, and hopefully put on a better event,”” Martin said.