Viva la spring break

My former college Christian fellowship adviser used to say there are four necessary elements to any adventure: there must be danger; blood must be shed; the outcome must be uncertain; and you must feel like turning back at some point.

This spring break, don’t let a shortage of cash or fear of risking your life in Rocky Point stop you from having a memorable spring break adventure. Here are a few suggestions for how to have an adventurous spring break without the venereal – err … visceral dangers of Cancun.

Hike from Tucson to Phoenix

Millions of people take pilgrimages to Jerusalem, to Dublin, to Mexico City annually – why not take a pilgrimage to the Arizona capital? At about 110 miles, the trek is more than feasible over spring break. If hikers average 12.2 miles a day, a trip from the UA to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport can be completed in 9 days. Interstate 10 is more or less a straight shot to Phoenix, and according to Arizona Revised Statues Title 28, walking on the left shoulder of the interstate is allowed as long as it’s “”practicable.”” Tents run about $40 at Target and hikers should carry at least two gallons of water. While danger runs high on the desert flats, Bud Light and Blue Moon await on tap on the sixth day at the Wonder Bar in Casa Grande. Weather will range between 46 degrees at night to a high of 82 degrees, with a maximum 30 percent chance of rain. Be on your guard for poisonous snakes, coyotes and drunk drivers. With a certainty of barbed fencing and cacti, bloodshed is likely. Take the Arizona Shuttle from Sky Harbor back to Tucson – it runs every hour.

Watch 36 of the world’s greatest movies

Nearly every “”before I die”” list should include, right after “”take a 100-mile pilgrimage,”” watching the 100 best movies of all time. While you may not be able to finish all 100, you can, with some dedication, watch these 36 classics. As a schedule, you could comfortably watch a movie from 10 a.m. to noon, lunch break from noon to 1 p.m., movie from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., 30 minute break, movie from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., walk outside and have dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. and finish the night with a feature from 8p.m. to 10 p.m. Here you go:

Day one: “”Casablanca,”” “”Monty Python and the Holy Grail,”” “”Persona”” and “”Aliens.””

Day two: “”The Graduate,”” “”Children of Paradise”” and “”Sense and Sensibility.””

Day three: “”Annie Hall,”” “”In the Mood for Love,””””Die Hard”” and “”Deep Throat.””

Day four: “”Raiders of the Lost Ark,”” “”The Mirror,””””Tokyo Story”” and “”Aguirre: The Wrath of God.””

Day five: “”Gone with the Wind,””””The Godfather,”” “”Harold and Maude.

“” Day six: “”Pulp Fiction,”” “”Marat/Sade,””””Shane”” and “”Vertigo.”” (I recommend going to a playground to recuperate at the end of the day.)

Day seven: “”The French Connection,”” “”The Seven Samurai,””””Taxi Driver”” and “”Blue Velvet.””

Day eight: “”Pather Panchali,”” “”2001,”” “”The Passion of Joan of Arc.””

Day Nine: “”Citizen Kane,”” “”Apocalypse Now,”” “”8 1?2,””””Beauty and the Beast”” (List compiled by Daniel Luc Sullivan).

Break three world records

With 216 hours of freewheelin’ springtime, you have one of the best chances in your life to break into the record books. Here are three good picks for breakable records: Play 434 games of hopscotch in 24 hours, dribble a basketball for 26 1?2 hours (your best bet is to go with the new Spalding Never Flat basketball), jump rope for 27 hours or wear 155 T-shirts at the same time. Any one of these records will prove a daunting challenge; push on and the world will remember your spring break adventure.

Eat every flavor of Ramen Noodle Soup

While the exact number has not been calculated since the Qin dynasty, scientists estimate there are at least 52 known varieties of Maruchan Ramen Noodle in existence. You may have to scour the supermarkets to find all variations of the chili shrimp, but if you eat two packages for every meal, six a day in total, you can eat every variant by the end of spring break. Warning: Each package contains 64 percent of your recommended daily sodium consumption, so eating six packages a day will average about 384 percent of daily values (9,120 milligrams of sodium). Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration, and see a doctor to prevent your blood pressure from climbing too high. While this may be possible mathematically and nutritionally, this adventure presents an extremely uncertain outcome with the possibility of uncomfortable bloodshed.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure not to waste this vacation. Even if you’re busy harvesting the fields, be sure to take some free time to relax, rejuvenate and enjoy the Arizona weather. That is why we have spring break – isn’t it?

EMatt Rolland is a junior majoring in
    economics and international studies. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.