No call on return key to 49ers win?

DETROIT — Did the Lions get robbed in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers?

Lions coach Jim Schwartz acknowledged in his weekly radio appearance on WXYT-FM (97.1) on Tuesday that officials made an error in spotting the ball after Ted Ginn Jr.’s long punt return in the fourth quarter.

Ginn appeared to step out of bounds around the Lions’ 40-yard line, but officials marked the ball at the 35.

The 49ers scored the game-winning touchdown eight plays later on a fourth-down pass from Alex Smith pass to Delanie Walker, when Walker was tackled by Louis Delmas just as the ball crossed the goal line.

“We saw that after the game,” Schwartz told the radio station. “At the time there was also — I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining, but there was a block in the back on that play. And that’s what we were really more concerned on was trying to get clarification on that, why that wasn’t called, and lost in that shuffle was that 5 yards.

“There’s a lot of things that you expect. You expect officials to get balls spotted in the right spot and have the right down marker up and correct timing, things like that. Those really aren’t subjective things like the spot of a ball when a runner’s down by contact or something like that. And that was obviously an unfortunate thing that went on in the game.”

Had officials thrown a flag for an illegal block in the back, the 49ers would have started deep in their own territory. Regardless, Schwartz said the Lions have themselves to blame for giving up Walker’s touchdown.

“It still doesn’t change the fact that we have fourth-and-goal from the 5 and weren’t able to get them stopped, because we make that play then things are obviously a lot different,” Schwartz said.