MTV ‘Catfish’ producers to promote new season at UA

MTV
    Still from season five of MTV’s Catfish based on the 2010 documentary film.

KAMP Student Radio and The Daily Wildcat will host the producers of the original MTV show “Catfish” on the UA mall this Wednesday, Sept. 21.

“Catfish” is a show on MTV which entails real life accounts of young adults who are “catfished,” or lied to, by strangers they are romantically involved with on the internet.Investigating a new story each week, “Catfish” broadcasts an unfortunate reality of 21st-century dating.

Online dating profiles have broken the barrier for relationships to blossom behind the screens of computers across the world, but having the ability to create fake profiles can cause vulnerable individuals to be taken on an emotional rollercoaster.

MTV producers Keya and Jill will share the catfishing stories they’ve experienced while working on the show from noon to 1 p.m. on the Mall. They will also be promoting this week’s new episode and give away free “Catfish” merchandise to students who stop by the KAMP tent on the Mall.

Aubrey Steinberg, a pre-physiology freshman, is a fan of the MTV show. Steinberg uses the show as a preventative measure to avoid getting catfished.

“Being catfished is not only a waste of someone’s personal time, but also a way to toy with their emotions,” she said.

Payton Wells, a communication junior and the marketing director at KAMP Student Radio, is managing the events with the “Catfish” producers on campus this week. She said KAMP and MTV will host a story hour where all students are invited to come listen and share their catfish stories.

Sebastian Machado, a pre-business sophomore and director of KAMP’s Mobile DJ Crew, said the Crew will play a show on the mall in conjunction with MTV on Wednesday.

If you believe you have been catfished and would like to be featured on the show, apply online here. 

RELATED: Worth the Watch: Plan your procrastination with our fall TV picks

RELATED: Donald Glover rises to the top of the television game with ‘Atlanta’

Follow Chloe Raissen on Twitter