Arizona outlasts Aggies

The Arizona Wildcats got back on track with a midweek sweep of New Mexico State University on Tuesday.

After dropping two of three games to then-No. 22 Baylor over the weekend, the No. 7 Wildcats (23-4) were able to record two wins in their first real away games of the season in Las Cruses, N.M.

Left fielder Brittany Lastrapes hit her way into the Arizona record books, breaking the Arizona career record for doubles. The senior went 6-for-8 on the day in two games and was the extra innings hero for the Wildcats in the second game of the night.

Arizona won both games of the double header, winning 7-2 in game one and 7-5 in game two.

The first game, which saw sophomore pitcher Kenzie Fowler in the circle for the Wildcats, was relatively easy compared to the second matchup. Although Arizona fell behind 1-0 in the first inning, the offense came alive in the second inning. Thanks to two home runs by Lini Koria and back-to-back doubles by shortstop Ashlee Brawley and Lastrapes. By the fifth inning, Arizona had done most of the damage and quickly ended the game.

The second game saw two home runs from Lastrapes and one from second baseman Kristen Arriola, helping the Wildcats to defeat the Aggies (18-7) despite being out hit 12 to 11.

Like the first game, there was offense and much of it early in the second game. Arizona led 4-1 by the middle of the second inning. New Mexico State inched back into the game, scoring four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning.

The Wildcats took advantage of two miscues by the Aggies in the bottom of the sixth to tie the game at five. The game could not be decided in seven innings, and the Wildcats took a two-run lead off of Lastrapes home run in the eighth.

Shelby Babcock started the second game for head coach Mike Candrea, but Fowler was brought in the sixth inning in relief and was credited with her 15th win.

Next up for the Wildcats is the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton, Calif. Arizona will see a rematch with No. 9 Oklahoma on Saturday before taking on No. 16 Louisiana Lafayette in the nightcap.