Women’s golf finishes third in Pac-12 preview

Courtesy Cy Cyr of Golf Channel
East Lake Cup– Season: 2018 — Pictured: Arizona’s Yusang You — (Photo by: Cy Cyr/Golf Channel)

The Arizona women’s golf team was not able to follow up an outstanding day two with a similar performance by shooting a 295 overall on day three, which is seven higher than the 288 on Tuesday. But even with the less than desired display, the outcome was still celebrated by finishing in third overall, only behind Stanford and USC. Stanford was above the pack, being one under for the whole tournament. Arizona (+4) finished one stroke behind the second place team of USC (+3). 

Gila Bite Starkute was not able to continue her dominant first two days by shooting a 75 on Wednesday but still stayed one under for the whole tournament, which placed her ninth on the final scoreboard. 

Teammate Yu-Sang Hou shot up the leaderboard with a final day of 72, and placed herself tied for 10th, finishing the entire tournament one over. 

Arizona had two more top 22 finishes as Carolina Melgrati shot a 71 and 72 on back-to-back days to get herself in a tie for 13th place at two over. Vivian Hou rounds out Arizona’s top-scoring in a tie for 19th place, shooting five over for the whole tournament and really riding on her fantastic Tuesday shooting a 70. 

RELATED: Women’s golf make up distance in first two days of Pac-12 preview

Head coach Laura Ianello was proud of her team’s performance on this Pac-12 introductory stage. 

“I am proud to see our team finish in the top three of this tournament and only one stroke behind second,” Ianello said.

Arizona, Stanford and USC all seem to feel comfortable with the statements they made at this conference’s preview, and Arizona will have some time between now and their next competition. They will be playing in the Superstition Challenge in a two-day event that will take place at the Mountain Golf Club in Arizona on Jan. 24-25. 

Follow Patrick Carr on Twitter