Campus Health: Check yourself

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Janelle Knowlton (right), a public health senior, and Karen Johnston (Mr. Condom), a business sophomore, hand out free condoms on the UA Mall, Wednesday, April 21, 2010.  Knowlton and Johnston were working for Campus Health Services promoting the Get Yourself Tested Program and safe sex.
Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat Janelle Knowlton (right), a public health senior, and Karen Johnston (Mr. Condom), a business sophomore, hand out free condoms on the UA Mall, Wednesday, April 21, 2010. Knowlton and Johnston were working for Campus Health Services promoting the Get Yourself Tested Program and safe sex.

If something burns, itches or looks a little funky, this is the month to have it checked out.

Campus Health Services hosted STD Awareness Day on the UA Mall on Wednesday in conjunction with STD Awareness Month and the MTV campaign GYT, Get Yourself Tested.

“”It’s part of a national event,”” said Lee Ann Hamilton, assistant director of health promotion and preventative services for Campus Health Services.

The event aimed to increase awareness about the importance and accessibility of STD testing.

Hamilton said thousands of students are tested for STDs at Campus Health every year and that testing is important for every student who is sexually active.

“”Many STDs are completely treatable and curable if you know you have one. The only way to find out is to get tested, because many are symptom-free,”” Hamilton said. “”I would recommend for sexually active people who have been with more than one person to get tested annually.””

Students were able to ask questions at the event and find resources for STD testing in Tucson. Campus Health Services provided free educational materials and condoms.

Campus Health Services also offered a free, 10-question screening to determine a student’s alcohol risk level.

“”Statistics show that situations regarding sexual assault have alcohol involved a lot of the time,”” said Lynn Reyes, alcohol and drug prevention specialist for Campus Health.

Health professionals assessed the surveys and gave brochures and referrals to students identified as drinking above recommended levels. Reyes finds information about alcohol use an important factor in preventing STDs.

Interdisciplinary studies junior Fletcher Morgan said it is important for students to have access to STD and alcohol awareness information.

“”It’s no secret that college students are sexually active,”” Morgan said.

Morgan took the alcohol risk screening but said it was not necessary for all students.

“”It might help out other people,”” said Fletcher, who did not find the results useful. “”(I’m a) good decision-maker.””

Students looking to be tested for STDs can call Campus Health Services to make an appointment. Hamilton said students can charge the test to their Bursars account and results are kept confidential.