Athlete of the Week:Preston Guilmet

Editor’s note: UA ace right-hander Preston Guilmet earned the Pacific 10 Conference’s Pitcher of the Week award last week after allowing just one hit during seven innings of work in Arizona’s 11-1 win at Stanford on Friday. He spoke with the Arizona Daily Wildcat’s Tim Kosch to discuss his award, who the funniest guy on the team is and Taylor Swift.

Daily Wildcat: So, Pac-10 pitcher of the week, how does it feel?

Preston Guilmet: It feels good, just going out there every week and trying to get a good start for the team. I won it twice my sophomore year and once or twice last year, so this isn’t my first time around these parts.

How about the team this year?

You know, our record says how we’ve been doing but the record lies a little bit. We’re a better club than it shows. We’ve had our ups and downs and we’ve really been going through a tough streak the last few weeks. We’re not out of it yet, it’s close, but we’ve got a good group of guys and hopefully we’ll finish strong.

You passed up joining the Oakland Athletics’ organization last year. Are you happy with that decision?

Definitely. I would’ve been happy with either decision – can’t be upset being with the A’s, can’t be upset with coming back to school and getting my degree. I’ve had a great time this season. It wasn’t what I hoped but I still get to play baseball everyday.

Did you always know you’d come back?

No, it was a tough decision and it took me the entire summer to decide. Through communication with the A’s, and never really working anything out with them, I had no problem coming back to college, and they knew I had no problem coming back.

Ok, so who’s the funniest guy on the team?

Depends who you’re asking. I’d say Jason Stoffel. He has one of the driest senses of humor I’ve ever seen, but it’s hilarious. It’s one of those things where you have to be around him a lot more to get it.

3-2 count, bases loaded, up one run. What pitch do you throw?

Gotta go fastball. Whatever happens, when it’s all said and done you know it was big on big.

What’s the source of entertainment on the plane trips?

We play a lot of cards … We play this game called “”31.”” It’s pretty addicting.

Favorite TV show?

Don’t watch TV. Well, I watch TV, but not enough to have a favorite show.

If you aren’t playing baseball in 10 years, what will you be doing?

Probably be in California or Kentucky working with horses. I’ve been doing it since senior year of high school, and hopefully one day, when baseball is done, I’d like to get into the horse breeding industry.

Are you going to the “”Last Smash Platinum Bash?””

No, I will not be attending.

If you could pick the lineup for the show, what would it be?

Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, George Strait and Kenny Chesney. A country show, in case you couldn’t tell.

Taylor Swift?

You know what? Yeah, I would. For visual
    entertainment.