Students for Sustainability, ASUA to host Earth Day on UA Mall

%09ARIZONA+Daily+Wildcat+file+photo%0A%0A%09The+UA+community+will+celebrate+the+Earth+Day+event+on+April+22+and+will+focus+on+recycling+and+composing+as+much+material+as+possible.+The+event+will+provide+interactive+activities%2C+displays%2C+food%2C+raffles+and+art+made+from+recycled+items%2C+among+other+things.+

ARIZONA Daily Wildcat file photo

The UA community will celebrate the Earth Day event on April 22 and will focus on recycling and composing as much material as possible. The event will provide interactive activities, displays, food, raffles and art made from recycled items, among other things.

Students will celebrate Earth Day as a waste-free event this year by demonstrating the composting process on the UA Mall.

Students for Sustainability and ASUA are collaborating to host the Earth Day event on April 22 from 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Students for Sustainability will be recycling and composting as much material as possible during the event. Everything from cotton candy cones, plates, napkins and excess food will be recycled or composted to demonstrate sustainable living and an economical method to celebrating Earth Day.

“I would like students to come out here to see what kind of work is being done at the university level, but also see how they can change their lives in order to do one thing different this year that makes a positive impact,” said Natalie Lucas, executive director of Students for Sustainability and a senior studying environmental sciences and philosophy, politics, economics and law.

The event will be more community-oriented this year through interactive activities, displays, food, raffles, art made from recycled items, live music from several bands, a jumping castle and a star party hosted by the UA’s Astronomy Club, according to Crystal Davis, Earth Day project manager for Students for Sustainability.

In addition, an estimated 30 vendors will showcase their businesses to inform students about a more sustainable way of living.

“What we’ll be sharing about is that our choices are what dictate the strength. We can revitalize U.S. manufacturing, protect the environment, raise awareness about the hunger epidemic in the United States and create action through how we spend our dollars,” said Alok Appadurai, co-founder of Fed by Threads. “The larger point is really to inspire people to really think about making a change. The main message that will come out of this event is that the power is really within the hands of the consumer.”

Fed by Threads is an ethical and sustainable, made-in-America clothing line. The funds from every purchased piece of clothing will pay for 12 emergency meals provided by the food bank. The local business will also help inform students about sustainable living.

“We were thrilled to be able to have the opportunity to interface with the next generation, 18 to 22, who are really good at being in the driver’s seat of making changes,” Appadurai said. “It was a really exciting invitation.”

Some coordinators and collaborators expressed excitement for this year’s celebration of Earth Day, but said it must continue moving forward and improving.

“The U of A is on the forefront of sustainable research and sustainable implementation, but we as a student body should really be pushing that forward,” said Jared Young, Spring Fling executive director and an accounting and finance junior. “It’s good to embrace challenge and say how can we do better.

“I think that’s one of the underlying themes of Earth Day is how can we, as a student body at the U of A, be more cutting edge; how can we be more sustainable and really preserve our surroundings and make as little impact as possible.”