Women’s tennis beats San Diego, men beat New Mexico State

Devin+Means%2FThe+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0ASenior+Kim+Stubbe+%28pictured%29+played+with+teammate+Lauren+Marker+and+won+their+match+8-5+against+San+Diego+at+the+Robinson+Tennis+Center+on+Saturday.+
Devin Means
Devin Means/The Daily Wildcat Senior Kim Stubbe (pictured) played with teammate Lauren Marker and won their match 8-5 against San Diego at the Robinson Tennis Center on Saturday.

Arizona women’s tennis defeated No. 74 San Diego 7-0 on Saturday to improve to 9-1 on the season.

“I think we did a good job playing at home,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “We did a little better in the doubles [matches], but I still feel like there is a lot of work to be done there. I like to see this match bring a little bit more confidence to the team. … We are 9-1, and we are in a great position to be in.”

In doubles matches, senior Akilah James and senior Susan Mc Rann defeated Idil Haciraifoglu and Janine Koleta 8-1. Senior Kim Stubbe and freshman Lauren Marker defeated Anna Depenau and Colomba DiFilippo 8-5, earning the doubles points for the Wildcats.

In singles matches, junior Laura Oldham defeated Mikayla Morkel-Brink 6-0, 6-0. Sophomore Shayne Austin defeated Haciraifoglu 6-0, 6-2. Senior Lacey Smyth closed out the victory for the Wildcats defeating Shani Blecher 6-2, 6-2. Marker won her match after it was retired in the second set, and James completed the sweep defeating Depenau 7-5, 6-4.

“I think we did a really good job overall,” Smyth said. “Coming back from losing to them at their home court last year, that was definitely a tough loss. Being from San Diego, it is hard losing to them, but it was great coming out and sweeping them today.”

Stubbe struggled early in the doubles match with her serve. After that match, Maes pulled her aside and worked through her second serve to put her in a position to win. After losing the first set in singles 0-6, she rallied back to defeat Marta Stojanovic 0-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3).

“I really wanted to kill USD,” Stubbe said. “We have been there last year, and we lost close. I wanted to take revenge on them and was really stoked, especially because a lot of people came out to support. I just had [the thought] in my mind to not give up.”

USD Coach Sherri Stephens’ alma mater is the UA, but there were no hard feelings after the match.

“I think even though the score did not show it, we were pretty close,” Stephens said. “Arizona has had a lot of wins, so they were tougher in the big points.”

Meanwhile, Arizona men’s tennis defeated New Mexico State 4-2 on Sunday to improve to 9-6 on the season.

“That’s a tough place to play, but the guys locked it in and we got the win,” head coach Tad Berkowitz said.

Junior Sumeet Shinde was able to clinch the match for the Wildcats.

“I’m really proud of Sumeet for clinching the match for us after missing the last two matches with an injury,” Berkowitz said.

Up next, the women will host No. 58 San Diego State on Saturday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The men have a short break and then will host Louisville on March 10 at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.

—Follow Matt Wall @mwall20