Police beat

Stop in the name of DUI

A man and woman were arrested on charges of driving under the influence on Thursday at 2:34 a.m., after the driver hit a traffic sign and drove away.

The driver was initially spotted by a UA staff member, who reported seeing a truck lose control after exiting a parking garage, and hitting a traffic sign.

The driver then re-parked the truck, and entered the passenger side of a suburban.

Two officers pulled over the suburban, where they informed a man and a woman, who was the driver, that the man was reported to have committed a hit and run. The man replied, “I’m going to be honest, sir, that was me.”

The officers noted that there was a strong smell of alcohol and both individuals were asked to step out of the vehicle. The man was described as having bloodshot eyes and a flushed complexion. According to the police report, the woman swayed as she stood.

The man admitted to drinking eight “Bud Light Strawberritas” at a friend’s house before attempting to drive. Both individuals were cited and released.

Man demands to see UA president

A man caused disruption in the Administration building on Thursday morning, after demanding to speak with the president of the UA.

An officer approached the individual, who had reportedly been screaming at an office clerk at 8 a.m.

The man said he wanted to speak with the university’s president regarding what he believed to be harassment. He said he has worked at the UA for 25 years and said he believed he had been harassed by his supervisor.

The officer asked the man to step outside of the building, and the man cooperated. The man said he was worried about losing his job after being switched from his original area of work and that his supervisor was “out to get [him].”

The officer later spoke with employees in the Administration building, who informed the officer that the man had visited the building twice. The situation is being treated as an administrative issue and further police involement was not needed.