Arizona soccer extends losing streak to four games

The Arizona women’s soccer team (5-9-3) extended its losing streak to four games after dropping back-to-back matches against Oregon (7-7-2) on Friday, 2-0 and Oregon State (11-4-2) on Sunday, 5-1.

On Friday, the Wildcats’ loss happened in the last seven minutes of the game, when Oregon scored its two goals. This marked Arizona’s third shutout loss this season and the second match lost in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Sunday’s match would prove to be the exact opposite as Oregon State brought the heat early. OSU was the first opponent to score five goals on the Wildcats, resulting in Arizona’s largest goal deficit in a match this season.

Within the first 23 minutes of the first half, the Beavers took a 2-0 commanding lead over Arizona.

Jenna Richardson, a junior forward, was the first to score for Oregon State off the pass from junior defender Jessica Niewoehner, marking her sixth goal of the season.

Minutes later, Richardson struck again off the pass from senior midfielder Megan Miller giving the Beavers a 2-0 lead.

OSU’s third goal came with seventeen minutes left in the first half as midfielder Brandi Dawson tipped the ball in to extend Oregon State’s lead to 3-0.

At the 30 minute mark in the first half, Jazmin Ponce scored the Wildcats first and only goal of the match, saving Arizona from its fourth shutout loss this season.

Ponce is the Wildcats leading scorer with eight goals and has single handedly tied the total number of goals scored by the entire team last season.

The Beavers outshot Arizona 9-5, which is the twelfth time an opponent outshot the Wildcats in the first half this season.

With just three games left, the Wildcats won’t be able to pull off a winning season, but could finish the season with the highest number of wins since 2008 if they capture victories in the next three matches against Utah, Colorado and ASU.