Boots made for walkin’

Eliza Dawson, studio art senior
    Eliza Dawson, studio art senior

If the recent freakish cold spell wasn’t enough reason to pack away the Rainbows, Reefs and Havaianas, this fall’s collection of boots is sure to have UA students clamoring for colder weather.

Fashionistas looking to build their shoe collections should take note of the crop of new boot styles already hitting store shelves. Booties, a fresh take on last year’s popular ankle boot style, have been key players on the runway and in fashion magazines.

Booties are more versatile than full-size boots, which most would hesitate to wear with anything but jeans.

“”In the magazines, we’re seeing them with a lot of opaque tights and, believe it or not, with dresses or skirts,”” said Michelle Monteleone, owner of SancSHOEary at La Encantada Mall. “”They look great with jeans, but one of the trends we’re seeing is the opaque look with a dress.””

Short, rugged boots with heavy hardware are another favorite of fashion magazines Lucky and Elle. Keep this tough style from straying into ‘biker’ territory by pairing them with a more feminine dress and tights.

Even classic riding boots have been updated for fall. Instead of the same basic black or brown leather typical of the equestrian set, styles from Steve Madden and Frye feature colored leather and suede in muted jewel-tone shades.

Freshman Shuqi Li is apprehensive about fashion-forward ankle booties, but she already bought a new pair of riding boots for fall and loves the idea of the colored boot trend.

“”I would buy a colored one,”” Li said. “”Something like flaming red, since I already have the basics.””

Monteleone said some of fall’s most popular colors are gray and purple. Monteleone also noted that buckle embellishments and heels are prevalent this season. Fortunately for UA students who walk or bike to class, many designers are opting for a mid-height boot instead of the sky-high heels of last season.

“”I love wearing them with skinny jeans, or I wear them all the time with shorter dresses,”” said Shannon Damlos-Mitchell of Steve Madden’s “”Legion”” boots, a lower-heeled slouch boot.

Damlos-Michell, a retail and consumer sciences sophomore, works at Grand Central Station boutique and sees firsthand which styles students are snapping off the shelves.

“”Definitely the ankle boots are still in,”” she said, “”and suede and a lot of (different) leathers.””