“M&W; track flies over ASU, NAU in Flagstaff”

In its first track and field meet of the 2010 season, Arizona soared over the competition at the Lumberjack Invitational — literally. The Wildcat jumpers took over the meet on Saturday, earning five NCAA qualifications in the process.

During both the men’s and women’s high jump finals, only UA jumpers were left in the pit.

Long jumper Luis Rivera-Morales won the men’s long jump with a distance of 7.88 meters, guaranteeing him a spot at the national championships and setting a new school record at the Northern Arizona University indoor facility.

“”I felt it was a really good first meet, but I want to work on my approach,”” the senior jumper said. “”I want to keep building momentum going to the championships.””

Not only did the long jumpers dominate their competitors, but the high jumpers were equally as impressive.

Senior Liz Patterson won the women’s high jump with a height of 1.91m and a guaranteed spot at the NCAA National Championships. Sophomore high jumper Courtney Hayes came in third with a height of 1.75m, a new personal record for her.

“”Today was a good day … I haven’t jumped like what I jumped today since high school,”” Hayes said.

Freshmen Edgar Rivera-Morales and Nick Ross both jumped 2.20m and won the men’s high jump.

For freshmen Rivera-Morales, Ross and Brigetta Barrett, the Lumberjack Invitational was their first NCAA indoor meet, but all were able to provisionally qualify for nationals.

“”I was pretty nervous going in,”” Ross said. “”After I got my first two jumps out of the way, I was fine after that.””

Barrett came in second in the women’s high jump with a height of 1.80m.

“”I wasn’t satisfied with the jump I did, but the fact that I came out and did well my first meet is what I’m really proud of,”” Barrett said. “”I’m never happy. I’m not going to be happy once I get auto (qualification). But I think that’s the attitude we need.””

Arizona athletes besides the jumpers had strong performances as well.

Christina Rodgers won the women’s mile with a time of 5:14. LaTisha Holden won the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.53 seconds, and Dahlys Marshal came in right behind her with a time of 8.68 seconds.

Arizona also had the top three runners in the women’s 800m run, with Deanna Sullivan coming in first with a time of 2:16, Julie Stupp in second with a time of 2:18 and Andrea Menhennet in third with 2:22. 

Although his athletes had a good day, Arizona head coach Fred Harvey feels that his team can, and should, do better.

“”The bottom line is, this is Flagstaff,”” Harvey said. “”Not the NCAA Championships.””