Staff Picks

Who’s going to the Final Four?

The smart thing would be to pick all No. 1 seeds, as each one has dominated through the season, combining for more than 130 wins. But that’s the beauty of March Madness. Someone’s going to fall off early. Three No. 1 seeds will dance into the Final Four and Kansas won’t make it, thanks pesky No. 10 seed Davidson, this year’s George Mason. Arizona’s out but the (Davidson) Wildcats
    live on.

UNC, Memphis, UCLA, Davidson

-Lance Madden
    sports editor

Just call me Punxsutawney Phil, because I am the prognosticator of prognosticators. Just in case you didn’t know it, it is spring. And if you didn’t, you probably can’t read so this doesn’t apply to you. What I didn’t know is the groundhog can pick Final Four games, something all the analysts on ESPN couldn’t seem to figure out. Experts – yeah right. With college basketball, especially the tournament, as unpredictable as it is, nobody correctly guesses without getting some thing right. So here is my try, if it is wrong, I am just like all of you.

Louisville, UNC, Xavier, Memphis

-Ari Wasserman
    assistant sports editor

Something weird happens every year in the NCAA Tournament, but I’m going to predict that all of the No. 1 teams will be in the Final Four. I picked UCLA because not only does its lineup have chemistry and raw talent, it has some kind of crazy luck (Josh Shipp’s behind-the-backboard shot). The other three I think will make it are North Carolina because of its consistence all season, Kansas because of its strength in both offense and defense, and
    Memphis because … it’s Memphis.

UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Memphis

-Kara Bauman
    sports writer