Ritter’s Rules: Breakdown

Quarterbacks

Tavita Pritchard is brand new to the Stanford offense. If you look at his numbers, they’re really not that impressive, as he’s completed only 40.7 percent of his passes in three games so far and averages only 110 yards per game. It’s worse than what former No. 1 quarterback T.C. Ostrander has done so far, but the only difference is Pritchard beat USC.

Advantage: Arizona

Running backs

The Cardinal has a solid tailback in junior Anthony Kimble, who already has six rushing touchdowns this season to go along with 429 yards on the ground. That’s about 100 yards less than the rushing total of the entire Arizona offense. It’s also five more touchdowns than Arizona’s leading rusher – Nicolas Grigsby – who has a measly one score on the year.

Advantage: Stanford

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

Stanford brings a solid threat at receiver in sophomore Richard Sherman, who has nearly reached all his totals from his freshman year when he had one of the best seasons in Stanford history for a true freshman. After him, there’s Mark Bradford and Evan Moore, two more solid deep threats. Mike Thomas has given opposing secondaries nightmares, and he’ll continue to do so.

Advantage: Arizona

Offensive Line

The Arizona defensive line did much better last week at USC, but after allowing eight sacks the previous week in Corvallis, Ore., that’s really not saying much. Thus far, Arizona has allowed 16 sacks, while Stanford has a whopping 24, and that’s in one fewer game.

Advantage: Arizona

Defensive Line

A defensive line typically doesn’t lead a team in sacks, but for Arizona, oddly enough 12.5 of the defense’s 15 sacks have come via the front four. The Wildcat D-line improved last week at USC and Louis Holmes did his best Shawn Merriman impression with his “”Lights Out!”” sack dance after knocking down Mark Sanchez. Plus, Stanford’s run defense ranks ninth in the Pac-10.

Advantage: Arizona

Linebackers

Spencer Larsen just continues to have a ridiculous season, along with fellow linebacker Ronnie Palmer. The duo leads the team in tackles with 66 and 45, respectively. For Stanford, it’s the linebackers who get the bulk of the sacks, and they have 11 of the team’s 18 sacks.

Advantage: Arizona

Secondary

If Stanford’s run-defense ranks ninth in the Pac-10, that must mean their pass defense makes up for it, right? Wrong. The secondary is even worse and ranks dead last in the Pac-10. Not to mention, for Arizona, it will probably be getting safety Dominic Patrick back, a huge boost.

Advantage: Arizona

Prediction

So I gave every advantage to Arizona but one. That must mean it’s going to be a blowout. It won’t be a blowout, because despite the lack of statistics at every position, Stanford plays its opponent close, and hasn’t lost in Tucson in 10 years. This may be Arizona’s last gimme of the year.

Arizona 34, Stanford 24