Arizona Daily Wildcat Pac-10 power rankings

The 2009 Pacific 10 Conference is like, well … nothing we’ve ever seen before. Southern California, Oregon and California were all considered the best of the conference before the season, but only four weeks in, each team has lost a game. Washington was nationally ranked. Stanford is 2-0 and in first place. It’s been a wild year so far.

The standings might read a certain way today, but they aren’t necessarily indicative of which teams are the best. Here’s how the Daily Wildcat feels the teams’ stack up after week four:

1. USC (3-1, 1-1 Pac-10)

They still haven’t reached their potential and have struggled through injuries, but they are still by far the most talented team in the conference. It’s only a matter of time until the offense gets in sync and starts rolling.

2. Oregon (3-1, 1-0 Pac-10)

What a difference a week can make. After losing to Boise State and suspending LeGarrette Blount for the season, things looked bleak for the Ducks, but they are very much in the picture after blasting Cal this past weekend.

3. Stanford (3-1, 2-0 Pac-10)

Nobody saw this early success coming and nobody knows for sure if it’s legitimate, but a 2-0 record to start the conference season can’t be ignored. Head coach Jim Harbaugh has his team playing hard and his fellow coaches are taking notice.

4. Cal (3-1, 0-1 Pac-10)

Yikes. The Golden Bears entered Saturday as the No. 6 team in the nation, but they left Saturday with their tails between their legs. Jahvid Best might be the best running back in the country, but the rest of his team has some serious questions to answer.

5. Washington (2-2, 1-1 Pac-10)

After losing to Stanford, Washington’s upset of USC might be looking more and more like a miracle upset and a coach outsmarting his former team. That being said, they deserve the high rating for their noticeable turnaround from last year.

6. UCLA (3-0, 0-0 Pac-10)

The Bruins are the only team in the conference without a loss, but they’re in the middle of the rankings right now because they haven’t played a conference game yet. This team has tremendous upside and could very possibly make a run for the Rose Bowl.

7. Arizona (3-1, 1-0 Pac-10)

A No. 7 ranking seems low, but the difference between No. 1 and No. 9 is negligible. The Wildcats are decimated by injuries and have struggled throwing the ball, but if quarterback Nick Foles and the rest of the ‘O’ continue to play the way they did against Oregon State then “”Air Zona”” is destined to take off.

8. Arizona State (2-1, 0-0 Pac-10)

Like UCLA, the Sun Devils haven’t played a conference game yet so it’s hard to judge. They were impressive in a loss to No. 7 Georgia, but other than that, they’ve had a pretty easy schedule. We’ll see in a few weeks.

9. Oregon State (2-2, 0-1 Pac-10)

Everybody knows about Jacquizz and James Rodgers, but no one else really stands out — and for good reason. This is a rebuilding year for the Beavers.

10. Washington State (1-3, 0-2 Pac-10)

The only thing for sure about the Pac-10 this season is that the Cougars will finish 10th. But they won a game already, that’s a start.