Labrosse leads men’s tennis to weekend split

Cramps slowed Jason Labrosse from being the hero against Nebraska last weekend.

The junior refused to be denied yesterday in leading the No. 72 Wildcats (2-4) to a 4-3 win over No. 46 Louisiana Lafayette (2-3) after the squad lost 4-3 to No. 75 Santa Clara (4-4) Saturday at Robson Tennis Center.

Labrosse was in position to lead Arizona to victory over Nebraska when he suffered cramps throughout his body.

“”I couldn’t bend my legs,”” Labrosse said. “”A couple of times I fell on the ground and couldn’t get up. So (yesterday) I made sure I drank a lot of water and electrolytes.””

Labrosse dominated the third set, 6-1, against Jorge Delgado to seal the win for the Wildcats and break the team’s four-game losing streak.

“”I kind of knew, from hearing everyone cheering (on the other courts) that I probably had to win my match,”” Labrosse said. “”I felt that I was mentally stronger. After I won my serve at 5-2 (in the second set), I just stayed focused and grinded him out.””

Arizona picked up three quick wins in singles play, but then both Peter Zimmer and junior Claudio Christen lost their matches.

The teams were tied 3-3 when Labrosse began his third set at the No. 5 position.

With their four-game skid finally behind them, Arizona heads into Pac-10 play with some much-needed confidence.

“”We needed one (victory) to show everybody that our team can win,”” said freshman Alex Labrosse. “”I’m excited for Pac-10 season. I think it’s going to be great.””

Women upset San Diego State on the road

After going into the weekend on a three-match losing skid, the No. 52 Arizona women’s tennis team reversed its fortunes and came out with a two-match winning streak.

The Wildcats (3-3) pulled out 4-3 wins over No. 58 San Diego (2-4) Saturday thanks and No. 46 San Diego State (3-4) Friday in part due to strong doubles play.

On the whole, Arizona won four of six matches.

“”Getting those doubles points have really been helpful for us,”” said Arizona assistant coach Brian Ramirez.

The Wildcats have gone 3-1 this year when they capture the doubles point. Being aware of this, the team has been playing around with the doubles lineups.

The most recent changes are the pairing of junior Camelia Todorova with sophomore Danielle Steinberg at the No. 2 position and junior Juliette Mavroleon and freshman Katie Orletsky together at the No. 3 spot. Both matchups worked well this weekend, as the pairs won their four matches.

“”We did a good job of executing in the doubles this weekend,”” Steinberg said. “”I feel comfortable playing with Camelia. We played last year, so we kind of know each other, and Juliette and Katie are doing a great job at No. 3. So I think for now, it’s good.””

Arizona is still concerned with its difficulty closing out matches, Ramirez said.

Freshman Natalia Toporowska’s No. 4 singles match. After she won the first set and took a 5-1 advantage in the second, San Diego State’s Esther Cadua mounted a comeback and ended up winning the match with a 10-4 super-tiebreaker.

“”The girls are getting themselves in great position to win matches and then not closing them out,”” Ramirez said. “”We have to continue (getting in the right position) but just take it one step further.

If we can take advantage of one opportunity here and there, we’ll be right where we need to be.””