New video for “Princess of China” comes out eight months after Mylo Xyloto

Courtesy of Billboard

The new music video for Coldplay’s “Princess of China” will have viewers hitting the repeat button several times over for fans of Coldplay and Rihanna alike.

Eight months after Coldplay’s latest album Mylo Xyloto was released, the British powerhouse released their music video for “Princess of China” featuring Rihanna. Honestly, it was worth the wait. Almost without fail, Coldplay manages to put out visually fantastic music videos with each new release, and this one certainly does not taint the cycle of greatness.

That said, there is a new element to this production piece that truly stands out: Rihanna’s talent is featured as well.

The video begins like a trailer to an old Chinese film, with dozens of arms emerging from the sides of Rihanna’s silhouetted body like the feathers of an exotic bird. This image is repeated throughout the video minus the silhouette, and gives off a “goddess” vibe.

The editing and effects in this video are top-notch. From the short moment in the beginning when two ninjas are captured in slow motion, it’s nearly impossible not to start shaking the computer screen out of sheer excitement. Rihanna also looks stunningly sophisticated in a sleek black dress and the hand choreography is hypnotizing.

Every part of this video is captivating, from the flying battle between lead singer Chris Martin and Rihanna to the the men dressed in black beating on drums. The best part of the video, however, moves beyond all of the flying effects and awesome slow-mo shots: The chemistry between Martin and Rihanna, on their knees in the sand singing the words “You stole my star,” is brilliant.
    Oh, and Martin wields a sword: you can’t get more badass than that.

Watch the official video here.