Outreach, fees on ASUA’s plate

Jordin O’Connor
Jordin O’Connor / Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA holds their first board meeting in the Ventana Room in SUMC on Wed., Aug. 22, 2012.

ASUA stressed the importance of collaborating with the university in order to ensure representation in the interest of the students in their first meeting on Wednesday, where they discussed club outreach, Career Services fees and the national presidential election. The senators gathered around in the Ventana room to discuss the different initiatives for the upcoming fall semester.

Sen. Logan Bilby, who collaborated with Career Services, developed an annual $5 student service fee for all students. In previous years, seniors paid a $25 fee for services provided by the department. Now, all undergraduate students have the option to pay $5 each year, bringing the four year total to $20, instead of the previous $25.

With only three days into the school year, student traffic has been heavily increasing in the Associated Students of the University of Arizona office, and the senators have been working hard since day one, according to Krystina Nguyen, executive vice president.

“I hope they continue with the same momentum they have started with,” Nguyen added.

ASUA also plans to extend their outreach to students by teaching clubs various ways to market themselves. Nguyen discussed how ASUA will help clubs reach out to potential members and recruit by teaching them different tactics and having more committees and directors, a feat that is easier said than done, she said.

“The senators have started off with a lot on their plates and I have faith that they will keep up throughout the semester and surpass their goals,” she added.

Katy Murray, ASUA president, stressed the importance of the upcoming election year and the importance of engaging with the students to vote. The Arizona Students’ Association will host tables on the mall for students to register to vote, and ASUA is also working with the university on televising the presidential debates.

Murray also mentioned that there is an ongoing competition between the UA and Arizona State University to see who registers the most students for the presidential election, with the new slogan “Don’t just watch, vote 2012.”

For students who can not afford to buy a ZonaZoo pass, ASUA is also handing out five scholarships for students who can’t afford to buy one.

Every three years, the UA receives the opportunity to send a student regent to represent the student body on the Arizona Board of Regents. This year is an important year because ASUA will have the chance to pick a student that will serve for two years on the board, Murray said.

Brian Seastone, University of Arizona Police Department’s police commander, announced that UAlerts are now available to all community members, and will be sent to alumni, parents of students and residents in neighboring communities. A UA Net ID is no longer required to receive emergency information regarding media threats and major disruptions going on campus.

Sen. Vinson Lui announced at the meeting that ASUA’s official Facebook page will launch later that night. Through the social network site, ASUA is hoping to reach out to more of a variety of students across campus, he said.

“The main goal is to be more active and consistent with updating news to the page,” Liu said.