Wilko creates upscale versions of classic food

Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Grilled Chicken is served with roasted red pepper roasted pineapple salsa,cilantro lime aioli and the cost $8.
    Rodney Haas
    Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Grilled Chicken is served with roasted red pepper roasted pineapple salsa,cilantro lime aioli and the cost $8.

After closing to revamp last summer, Wilko has finally re-opened. The hip little shop located at Park Avenue and University Boulevard is an interesting mix of ideas. It’s a coffee shop, mini-convenience store and restaurant all rolled into one. Don’t allow its more upscale décor to deter you — Wilko is serving up delicious dishes at reasonable prices.

Wilko ditched a lot of the artsy merchandise it was selling to make room for a small kitchen and seating area. The open-air kitchen, lined by a bar where patrons can sit, is cozy. Guests can watch their meals being prepared as they sip on refreshing cucumber-infused water.

Wilko’s menu includes jazzed-up versions of classics like mac and cheese made with gruyére and white cheddar, an icebox tuna sandwich with toasted almonds and a burger made of grass-fed beef. An array of cheese plates, starters that consist of almonds and nuts, and pizza dishes are also featured. Wilko offers an array of beers and white and red wines, as well.

With prices ranging from $6 to $12, Wilko won’t break the bank while leaving you full. While this may not be an eatery you will frequent on a daily basis, Wilko’s sandwiches cost just a touch more than they would at a place like On Deck Deli on campus.

I opted for the grilled Brie sandwich that consisted of a blend of turkey pastrami, cucumber, melted Brie and apple butter on thick, crusty bread slices. The sandwich was a fantastic blend of bold and delicate flavors.

My eating companion opted for a grilled chicken sandwich that boasted grilled pineapple and a rich, garlicky aioli. The sandwiches came with a choice of herb fries, a salad or a slaw. We chose the salad with a flavorful lemon vinaigrette dressing. Each of our meals rung in at $8.

The décor is pleasant and simple, with large, eye-catching light fixtures that hang from the ceiling. Fresh flowers in small jars sit on each wooden table and line the bar. The staff is friendly and fast.

Although Wilko’s feel is substantially different from what it once was, the new set-up is pleasant and college-student friendly. A step above much of the quick food available on campus and University Boulevard, Wilko offers a nice atmosphere and good food. So grab a glass of cucumber-infused water, order some grub and relax at the new Wilko.

Wilko

943 E. University Blvd.

792-6684

Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Closed Sundays

Grilled brie sandwich with salad $8

Grilled chicken sandwich with salad $8