Police Beat: March 28

Runaways

University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to find two students who had warrants out for their arrest at 2 a.m. on Monday. Officers on patrol saw two men who matched the police report. When the men noticed the police officers approaching them, they began to run away.

Officers chased the men through residential apartments on East Fourth Street near the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage. An officer caught one of the men and detained him. The officer did not read the man his Miranda rights or arrest him because he wanted to figure out why the student ran away. When the officer asked the man why he fled, the man replied, “I was running because my buddy urinated in public and I knew it was illegal.“ The officer asked if the man was a student and the man said, “Yes, I am a track and field athlete attending the university on a scholarship.”

The other officer caught the second student, who was questioned and arrested. The officer searched him, and found a fake driver’s license. The officer smelled alcohol coming from the man’s breath. When the officer asked why he ran away, the student said, “In Florida, where I am from, police just attack people and beat them up for no reason.” The man refused to answer any further questions and was cited and taken to Pima County Jail for minor in possession of alcohol in body and for possessing a fake driver’s license. The track and field athlete was released from the scene.

Woman reports sexual assault

Two female students were driving on Campbell Avenue near Mabel Street when another woman, who was screaming and saying that she had been sexually assaulted and buried alive earlier that evening, flagged them down at 2:03 a.m. on Monday. The two women immediately called the police and told them what the other woman had been shouting.

Officers arrived and saw a car pulled over on the side of the road, with the woman in the backseat. She was mumbling and speaking in incomplete sentences. The officers called Tucson Medical Services, who evaluated her and noticed that her knees were scraped and that her black dress and feet were dirty. Officers saw that her hair was messy and looked as if someone had grabbed it.

The woman told the officers that she was at a party when three men grabbed her and tried to sexually assault her. The men carried her out of the party and started to cover her with dirt. Other officers went to the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house, where the woman lived, to ask members if they knew anything about the incident. None of the sorority members knew what happened. The woman was taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center and officers told the center that she was referred there for extreme intoxication and potential rape.