Hot ‘n’ not April 22

Carlos Herrera
Carlos Herrera / The Daily Wildcat Arizona loses to No. 7 Oregon State 11-0 on Sunday, March 30, 2014 at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson, Ariz.

HOT
The Arizona women’s tennis team (17-5, 6-4) finished its regular season by upsetting No. 22 ASU (18-7, 5-5) on senior day Saturday. With the 4-2 win, the Wildcats completed a perfect home season (14-0). Head coach Vicky Maes said her team this year is “a special group of girls.”

The Arizona men’s tennis team also pulled an upset on senior day. The Wildcats defeated No. 53 Utah 4-1 on Friday. The Wildcats will face Utah in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament in California on Wednesday.

Future Arizona men’s basketball player Stanley Johnson scored 24 points in the 13th annual Jordan Brand Classic at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday. That wasn’t Johnson’s only achievement over the weekend. Johnson also won the dunk contest and was named MVP at the SchollyMe All World Games at Concordia University without even being scheduled to participate in the game or the contest.

Mebrahtom ‘Meb’ Keflezighi became the first American man to win the Boston Marathon since 1983. Keflezighi is an Olympic silver medalist and a former New York City Marathon champion. Tucsonan and former Wildcat Abdi Abdirahman finished 16th.

NOT

The Arizona baseball team was swept over the weekend in Los Angeles by USC. Arizona is at the bottom of the Pac-12 Conference, only ahead of California and Utah with a Pac-12 record of 6-12.

It was announced on Monday morning that the entire New York Knicks’ coaching staff got fired. New York Knicks president Phil Jackson said, “the time has come for change throughout the franchise.” Mike Woodson, the former Knicks head coach had one year left on the three-year contract he signed with the Knicks. Former Wildcat Steve Kerr is considered a front runner for the job.

The Arizona Diamondbacks are ranked No. 28 in ESPN’s most recent MLB Power Rankings. The Diamondbacks were swept by the New York Mets and only won one game in the last series against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez and bench coach Jerry Narron and Pirates outfielder Travis Snider were ejected from a game on Sunday. Gomez and Pirates starter Gerrit Cole exchanged words after one of Gomez’s hits. Snider, who wasn’t in the game, decided to start throwing punches, which resulted in a brawl. The benches and bullpens soon emptied.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal