Worth noting

LAS VEGAS – Las Vegas sports books favor the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series over the Philadelphia Phillies and would owe huge payouts if the American League champions prevail.

Oddsmakers say enough bettors took the Rays early in the year at long-shot prices to force books to adjust lines to encourage bets on the Phillies.

Sean Van Patten at Las Vegas Sports Consultants says the Rays are favored at minus-$1.35, meaning a gambler would need to bet $1.35 to be paid $1 if Tampa Bay wins.

Van Patten puts the Phillies at plus-$1.15, meaning a $1 bet would earn $1.15 if Philadelphia wins.

“”What we’re also trying to protect here is even more Tampa Bay money coming in,”” Van Patten said. “”What we’re trying to do is maybe get a little buyback on the Phillies.””

Las Vegas Hilton race and sports book director Jay Kornegay says before the start of the season the Rays were a 200-1 shot for the title.

“”It’s a significant number for a futures book, but it’s nothing that’s going to shut down the book or anything,”” Kornegay said. “”It might dim the lights.””

Kornegay would not specify how much the Hilton sports book stood to lose if the Phillies win, but said other sports books offered even longer odds on the Rays winning a championship.

-The Associated Press

Tim McGraw offers fatherly advice in new children’s book

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – As the father of three girls, Tim McGraw understands the challenges that face dads who want to please their daughters.

So the children’s book he’s co-written with Tom Douglas has some simple advice: As long as you’re spending time with them, it doesn’t really matter what you do.

“”My Little Girl,”” published today by Thomas Nelson, tells the story of a father – in a dark cowboy hat, of course – who spends a fun day with his little girl Katie doing … nothing in particular.

The 41-year-old country singer said he enjoys spending time with his daughters – ages 11, 10 and 6 – but if he did what they liked doing, he’d be spending a lot of time shopping at the mall.

“”It’s something that as a father you kind of have to sacrifice what you want to do. … If I want to go to the farm and shoot guns or ride four-wheelers in the mud when it’s 40 degrees … the girls aren’t really interested in doing that,”” he said.

But McGraw said he’s found that his daughters like coming along while he does simple, everyday stuff.

“”Do what you have to do in your regular routine and take them with you. It makes all the difference in the world,”” he said.

-The Associated Press