Professor starts Change.org petition requesting Hart to leave DeVry

UA+President+Ann+Weaver+Hart%2C+speaks+with+community+members+at+her+first-ever+town+hall+meeting+on+Oct.+31%2C+2012+in+the+Student+Union+Memorial+Center.+Hart+has+recently+been+appointed+to+a+board+member+position+for+DeVry+Education+Group.+
File Photo
UA President Ann Weaver Hart, speaks with community members at her first-ever town hall meeting on Oct. 31, 2012 in the Student Union Memorial Center. Hart has recently been appointed to a board member position for DeVry Education Group.

Jake Harwood, professor of communication, wants UA President Ann Weaver Hart to step down from her newly accepted position on the DeVry Education Group’s Board of Directors. He created a Change.org petition requesting that she leave the controversial post.

“I think that President Hart should be focused on the [UA], and not working for a group that has some substantial ethical issues in terms of their recruitment practices, etc., and that is a potential competitor with the [UA],” Harwood wrote in an email Thursday night, adding that the online programs offered by DeVry are too close to those offered by the UA to not be a conflict of interest.

Harwood expressed concern that the DeVry position could consume more of Hart’s time than she originally planned. He said the amount of money and stock options given to Hart in her compensation package allude to a time-commitment that may be more extensive than it seems. 

“I don’t see any benefit to the relationship,” Harwood said. “Hence my concern.”

If you would like to see the petition, click here: President Hart: Resign DeVry Post

Follow Sam Gross on Twitter.