Arizona Wildcats land 4-star SG Shane Nowell

Sean+Miller+yells+out+calls+to+his+players+during+the+Arizona-Oregon+game+at+McKale+Center+on+February+22%2C+2020+in+Tucson%2C+Ariz.+
Amy Bailey
Sean Miller yells out calls to his players during the Arizona-Oregon game at McKale Center on February 22, 2020 in Tucson, Ariz.

Shane Nowell, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound shooting guard and four-star prospect from Eastside Catholic in Sammamish, Washington has announced his commitment to the University of Arizona.

Nowell is the No. 27 shooting guard and No. 116 overall player in the 2021 class according to 247Sports. 

Nowell chose the Wildcats over offers from Kansas, Oklahoma and Washington among others. He is the brother of Jaylen Nowell, who played two seasons at Washington before being selected in the second round of the 2019 NBA draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves. It is seeming like the addition of Jason Terry to the coaching staff for Arizona is already paying off, recruiting highly regarded recruits from the Seattle area where he is from and went to high school. 

Nowell played with Seattle Rotary, a basketball club where he was coached by Daryll Hennings, who has coached a plethora of players who have gone on to the NBA including Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson and Zach LaVine. In an interview with youth1.com, Hennings had some strong praise for Nowell and his game. 

“He’s our best player,” Hennings said. “And he’s one of the nicest kids that I’ve had the pleasure of working with in terms of how he treats other people and accepts teaching and instruction. His parents have done an incredible job with him.”

Hennings also compared Nowell and his game to one of his former players who was later selected in the first-round of the 2012 NBA draft. 

“He’s kind of Tony Wroten-like without the brashness,” Hennings said in an interview with youth1.com. “Tony talked a lot of trash and backed it up. Shane is the opposite. He’s just as tough, athletic but doesn’t have the cockiness. He just kind of plays.”

Nowell joins Kenneth Simpson Jr. and Shane Dezonie in the Wildcats 2021 recruiting class. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter