Fast Facts

• The first sworn female police officer in the United States, Alice Stebbins Wells of Los Angeles, had to design and sew her own uniform when she began serving in 1910.
  • The restrictions on those “”do not remove under penalty of law”” mattress tags don’t apply to the owner, but to the retailer.
  • It takes 52 letters to spell out all the values (Ace, Two, Three, etc.) in a regular deck of 52 playing cards.
  • The Detroit Lions are the oldest-existing NFL franchise to have never appeared in the Super Bowl.
  • The first self-adhesive stamp in the United States was a special “”Peace on Earth”” holiday issue from 1974. The glue didn’t stick, and the experiment was deemed a failure.
  • The first president to throw the first pitch at a Major League Baseball game was William Howard Taft.
  • Major U.S. Interstate numbers generally follow a pattern: odd-numbered ones run north and south, while even-numbered ones travel east and west.
  • The address number of Big Bird’s nest is 123 1/2.
  • Mapmakers often add a nonexistent street with a fake name to a city map to prevent others from illegally reproducing them.
  • Ping-Pong balls are not hollow. They are filled with small amount of pressurized gas, which prevents them from breaking too easily.
  • Of the 30 highest-grossing films in American history, “”Star Wars,”” released in 1977, is the oldest movie on the list.
  • It’s known as the Plough in Britain and the Casserole in France. Here, we call it the Big Dipper.
  • Phoenix is the most populous state capital, and the only one home to more than one million residents.
  • Half of America’s state flags have a background of some shade of blue.
  • The average supermarket carries between 40,000 and 50,000 items.
  • Only about one in 2,000 babies is born with an exposed tooth.
  • In 1972, the FBI arrested a small group of criminals who had discovered a way to tap into free long-distance service using a toy whistle found in boxes of Cap’n Crunch cereal.