Arizona men’s tennis to compete in the San Diego State Invitational

Griffin Riley

The Arizona men’s tennis team sits on the sidelines as they get ready to play their next set at the Robson Tennis Center.

Arizona men’s tennis will be traveling to San Diego, Calif. this weekend to compete in the San Diego State Invitational. The invite will last from Friday, Oct. 4 to Sunday, Oct. 6 at the Aztec Tennis Center.

The team competed against San Diego two weeks ago at Arizona’s home invite, the Wildcat Invitational. Here at the Wildcat Invitational, UA’s Carlos Hassey defeated San Diego’s Daniel Traxler 6-4 and 7-5. Arizona’s Conner Olsen defeated San Diego’s Jules Auffray 6-3 and 6-2. In addition, UA’s Jared Horwood defeated San Diego’s Fabian Roesdorf 7-5 and 6-4.

There were no matches at the Wildcat Invitational in which SDSU came out on top. Now, the team is traveling to San Diego’s home field with the hope of keeping things the same way.

Wildcat Conner Olsen will be keeping tennis fans on their toes at the San Diego State Invitational this week, as he is playing to keep up his fall season winning streak. Other Arizona players to look out for in San Diego are Stewart Block and Igor Karpovets.

Block and Karpovets are 8-0 on the doubles court with two titles to their names. In addition to doubles titles, Karpovets also took away the singles title at the Wildcat Invitational and is in a strong position to do the same this weekend.

As the San Diego State Invitational goes on, select players for San Diego and Arizona will be preparing to head to Oklahoma for the ITA All-American tournament. The ITA All-American is broken into three sections for the date of competition: pre-qualifying on Oct. 5-6, qualifying on Oct. 7-8 and Main Draw from Oct. 9-13. It will be an exciting week to discover how far the Wildcats can advance in both the San Diego State Invite and ITA All-American.

Overall, the weekend of Oct. 4 will showcase a continuation or conclusion to Olsen’s winning streak. If the Wildcats can continue to stop SDSU from gaining any wins and if Block and Karpovets can continue to dominate on the doubles court, the team will be in a fantastic spot.

Follow Johnnie Mitchell on Twitter