Film showcase brings French culture to Tucson

The Loft Cinema will be showing a collection of the best French short films from 2009 tonight at 7:30. Titled “”Les Lutins,”” the two-hour sampling presented by the Alliance Française Tucson will feature the best fiction and animation pieces from up-and-coming French directors. Tucson film aficionados should get excited.

Originating in 1998, “”Les Lutins du court-métrage”” has made every effort to tirelessly promote the exhibition of French short films everywhere. By all accounts, they have been successful. “”Les Lutins”” has featured work by many famous actors and directors including Ludivine Sagnier and Jérémie Rénier. The Loft is only its most recent venue, and the show looks poised to succeed with the strong lineup of shorts being featured this year.

With more than 2,000 French film professionals involved in the selection process, one can assume that “”Les Lutins”” will only feature the best short films released this past year. From director Tony Zoreil’s “”Tony Zear,”” a 20-minute comedy about a Parisian pianist to director Lorenzo Recio’s “”Lisa,”” a heavy-hearted drama about a little girl and her relationship with her abusive father, there is something for everyone.

The French aren’t usually known for subtlety, ensuring that their films are provocative. Anyone who has seen “”Amélie”” can attest to this, and this year’s “”Les Lutins”” festival holds a unique promise for any fan of good cinema and solid entertainment choices.

All films will have English subtitles. Tickets will follow regular Loft prices, and will also be offered at $4.75 for Loft Cinema or Alliance Française members.

If you go

Les Lutins du court-métrage 2009

The Loft Cinema

3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Ticket $4.75 – $8.75

795-0844