No quarterback controversy in Arizona

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 15 Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins in a Pacific 10 Conference college football game Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Arizona held off a late fourth-quarter push to beat the home team 29-21.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The No. 15 Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins in a Pacific 10 Conference college football game Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Arizona held off a late fourth-quarter push to beat the home team 29-21.

PASADENA, Calif. — Junior quarterback Matt Scott stole the spotlight for the second straight week at UCLA, but his lights-out play still wasn’t enough to dethrone Nick Foles as Arizona’s starter.

“”We’ll evaluate the situation, but if Nick’s healthy, he’ll be our starter next week at Stanford,”” said head coach Mike Stoops after the UCLA game.

Foles, who is just over two weeks removed from a dislocated kneecap, was close to 100 percent against the Bruins and could have played if needed.

“”It came to a point where if I had to play I’d go in, but Matt’s playing great, so it gave me another chance to just rest the leg and get it better,”” Foles said.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Foles expects to go full speed at practice beginning Monday, but it’s still a mystery as to how his knee will respond. Stoops said he’s “”close,”” while Foles admitted he’s still limited and nothing is imminent.

“”We’ll see how it goes next week. I have to see how the leg feels on Monday,”” Foles said. “”I’d like to (play at Stanford). I can’t really speed it up if it don’t want to speed up, so I’ve got to do what I can to get the leg better.””

Foles warmed up on the sidelines late in the fourth quarter when Scott struggled with wrist soreness, and that alone proves he’s almost ready to go. The main reason for resting him at UCLA was to keep him healthy for No. 13 Stanford.

But even if he’s fully healthy, Scott’s making it tough to take him off the field. In two starts — and two wins — he’s completed 72.4 percent of his passes, while averaging 276 passing yards and 68 rushing yards. He’s also thrown for three touchdowns compared to only one interception.

“”We knew that we can win with Matt (Scott) too,”” Stoops said after the UCLA win in which Scott combined for 390 yards through the air and on the ground.

Scott said he knows that Foles will be the starter if he’s healthy, but that changes nothing for the dual-threat quarterback.

“”I’m not really worried about who’s going to play next week,”” he said. “”I’m going to prepare the same way I always do. Look at film, see what I can do better and then get ready for Stanford.””

He could see time in special packages or sporadically. When asked how he would handle surrendering a few snaps a game for Scott, Foles said, “”Whatever is best for the team and gives us the best chance to win is what I’m for, but it’s up to coach Stoops to do what he wants to do with the team.””