Police Beat: October 11

They see me rollin’

University of Arizona Police Department officers went to the intersection of Campbell Avenue and University Boulevard at 2:33 p.m. on Oct. 3 in response to a report of a man rummaging through the recycling bin located at the intersection.

When the officers arrived at the scene, they found the man standing in front of the recycling bin with about 15 to 20 crushed aluminum cans on the sidewalk and a shopping cart full of crushed cans.

One officer spoke with the 55-year-old man, who appeared to be homeless. The man was deaf and mute, so the officers communicated with him via writing. He told them that the cans spread out on the sidewalk were from his collection and had fallen out of his shopping cart when it hit the curb moments earlier.

There was no evidence or any witnesses to prove the man had taken the cans from the recycle bin. The officers explained to the man that UA policy prohibits digging through or removing any items from any trashcan or recycling bin on university property. The man told officers he understood and continued walking northbound on Campbell Avenue.

Access denied

An unidentified man called UA Student Services and used profane language at about 5:07 p.m. on Sept. 28. In a voice mail message left on the Bear Down Gym business office phone, the man said he was denied tutoring assistance.

On Oct. 3 a UAPD officer spoke with the staff member who listened to the voice mail the Tuesday following the call. She told the officer that she assumed the caller was a UA student, and by the sound of his voice, a man about 18 to 20 years of age.

In the voice mail, he explained he was recently denied math tutoring services and was very angry. He didn’t leave any threats, but used profanity, including “stupid asses” and “fucking morons.” He ended the message saying that he would finish his math class without the assistance of UA tutoring services.

The UA employee told the officer that due to the number of students who are denied tutoring assistance, she was unable to recognize who the caller was. She was told to call for police assistance if any similar incidents occur.

Fault’s on the frame

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for driving on a suspended driver’s license at 12:26 a.m. Oct. 7. He was heading northbound on Campbell Avenue and turning left at the Sixth Street intersection when he almost hit two women crossing the street. A UAPD officer happened to be behind the vehicle at the time and activated his emergency lights immediately.

The driver of the vehicle pulled over and provided the officer with his Arizona driver’s license, vehicle registration and insurance card. He said that he didn’t know why the officer had pulled him over.

The officer explained that he saw the driver nearly hit the two women crossing the crosswalk after not paying attention to the fact that they were approaching the right lane. He said that the vehicle then had to make a sudden stop, which caused the westbound traffic to swerve around him, almost hitting the officer’s patrol vehicle. The driver said that he didn’t see the girls walking because of the car frame.

The officer conducted a records check of the license and vehicle, and found that the license had been suspended due to a failure to appear suspension from the Tucson City Court. The driver also had several warrants.

He was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body and Tucson Wrecker towed the van to be impounded.