Six crucial plays from the Wildcats’ loss to the Colorado Buffaloes

The+Arizona+Wildcats+offense+huddles+up+in+Boulder%2C+CO+on+Oct.16+2021+where+they+faced+off+against+the+Buffaloes+in+Folsom+Field.+
Ryan Wohl
The Arizona Wildcat’s offense huddles up in Boulder, CO on Oct.16 2021 where they faced off against the Buffaloes in Folsom Field.

Kyon Barrs stuffs the Buffalo for a turnover on downs

Sophomore Kyon Barrs stuffs Colorado running back Alex Fontenot at the line of scrimmage with one yard to go for the first down for the Wildcats to take over on downs. Fontenot looked like he had an opening but Barrs was a brick wall not moving an inch and stopping Fontenot to give the Wildcats possession. 

Jalen Johnson draws pass interference call putting the Wildcats on Colorado 24

Jalen Johnson draws a pass interference penalty in the Colorado end zone to move the ball to the Colorado 24. Johnson was open in the end zone with the ball on track to be caught when his arm is grabbed and an easy pass interference call is made to give the Wildcats 15 yards and the first down. 

Jalen John finds space for 23 yards giving the Wildcats 1st and goal

Running back Jalen John runs the ball for 23 yards breaking tackles and diving for the goal line on 1st down to get to the 1-yard line giving the Wildcats momentum. Arizona was less than a yard short of the goal-line. The Wildcats were still stopped in four downs with less than a yard to go as three runs are stuffed and a Gunner Cruz incompletion on 4th and goal for the turnover on downs. 

Colorado runs back blocked punt.

Colorado’s Trevor Woods blocks punt at the Colorado 45 and recovers the ball taking it back for a touchdown which put the Buffaloes up 13-0 in the middle of the third. It looked like Woods pushed himself and the blocker in the way of the punt after a high snap from long snapper Seth Mackellar. 

RELATED: Arizona gets shut out by Colorado 

Cruz was replaced by Plummer in the third.

Cruz throws a pick-six to Carson Wells at the 50-yard line putting the Buffaloes up 20-0 late in the third quarter.  Cruz made a poor effort trying to tackle Wells before Wells returned it for the touchdown; however, this was due to a hand injury. The attempt was the last pass of the game for Cruz. Cruz showed visible emotion on the sideline as Will Plummer took the field replacing Cruz. 

Plummer throws an interception leading to a Buffaloes touchdown.

Plummer throws an interception on 1st and 10 at the 50 off of Stanly Berryhill’s hands with eight minutes left. The interception was a tip drill caught by Colorado for no gain. This would lead to an 11 yard Dimitri Stanley touchdown from Brandon Lewis with four minutes left in the game putting Colorado up 34-0. This would end up being the final score. 

Follow Cole Johnson on Twitter