ASUA saves school clothing bank

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

This week, in an attempt to save the Tucson Unified School District Clothing Bank, ASUA Senator Eduardo Atjian III is asking students to donate used or new clothing items.

As a “”last minute”” senate project, Atjian, a junior, contacted representatives from TUSD in order to set up this holiday donation drive. Atjian said that he originally heard the clothing bank would be forced to close due to budget cuts.

“”My mom mentioned to me that the TUSD clothing bank was going to be cut,”” Atijian said.

He was happy to find out that he would be able to help them stay in business.  

Atjian, who attended TUSD schools from kindergarten through senior year of high school, and whose parents are both teachers in the district, said he understands that there is a desperate need for donations.

“”I feel connected. It’s just like that rule, if something was given to you positive, you want to give back to it, too,”” he said.

Sophomore Sen. James Brooks has assisted Atjian with the drive. 

“”I helped out with the stuff on how to make it become a clothing drive that we do during next year and the years to come,”” he said. 

Both senators said they want to make this a yearly donation drive to help keep the clothing bank active.

“”Expect another one in the spring,”” Atjian said.  

Atjian said he feels that the holiday season is the perfect time for a clothing drive. 

“”Would you rather give clothes at the beginning of the school year when you just start, or when you’re done with the semester and you’re going back home to your parents for break?”” he asked. 

“”In my opinion, you accumulate clothes throughout the semester, and at the end of the finals, you go home and get new clothes. Plus, you get free t-shirts here and there and students have tons of clothes to give away. This couldn’t be more perfect,”” he said. 

As of Monday night, the Student Alumni Association had made the largest donation. 

“”It’s already a success, because they donated at least three big bags,”” he said. 

A member of the group called the senator on Friday because they had seen advertisements about the drive. The association gave leftover items from its rummage sale before the drive had even begun.

Atjian said he does not have a goal in mind for the amount of clothing he wants.  

“”It is already a success,”” he repeated. “”Each item will be put to use and keep someone warm this winter. The students who donate will know that they made a difference. It may not a big deal to them, but to another child, that t-shirt or pair of pants can last them for two or three years.””

The clothing bank was founded in 1957, in the basement of Carrillo Elementary School. Clothing bank coordinator for TUSD Christina Molina said she has been working there for 16 years. She works alone, with the exception of volunteers, she said. 

“”I only provide for students from the 117 schools in the district. There are about 25-30 students per day, five days a week.”” She explained that the bank is organized by gender and age.

She said she is excited to see the amount of clothing that will be donated by the end of the week. 

“”This is the first time for Eduardo and I, and we’re just looking forward to what may be coming,”” she said.

Molina asks that donations be in good condition.

“”All the clothing here is in good shape. I wouldn’t put anything on our students that I wouldn’t put on my own kids,”” she said.

The clothing drive will continue until Friday, and anyone can drop off donations in the ASUA office, cultural centers, in Greek houses or on the UA mall between noon and 1 p.m.