Jim Click meet provides home advantage for track and field

With its biggest home meet of the season this weekend, the Arizona track and field team will finally compete in Tucson after having to travel for every meet during the indoor season.

Because of the climate in Tucson, the UA lacks an indoor track, so the Wildcats’ entire indoor season was a road trip. Now, the Wildcats will finally be at home, hosting the Jim Click Invitational. Throwing, running and jumping events begin tomorrow.

Freshman high jumper Brigetta Barrett will get to do something extra on Saturday. Not only will she be high jumping, she will also be singing the national anthem.

“”I know how to sing, but it’s more unnerving to sing than to jump,”” Barrett said. “”Jumping never really makes me nervous. This meet is like a prep meet for me. I always jump for height, but this meet I’m working on technique.””

For the coaching staff, competing in a home meet is easier than going on the road. There’s no time-zone change, no flights and no difficulty with transportation.

Sprinter coach Francesca Green is excited about the Jim Click meet and eager to see how her sprinters will perform.

“”I love home meets, especially when the weather’s great, and the kids are used to training every day on this track so they know what it’s like,”” Green said. “”It’s nice to give them a few weeks at home without having to worry about traveling.””

Head coach Fred Harvey didn’t change anything about their training going into this weekend. He feels that the biggest advantage of having a home meet is the emotional boost it gives the athletes.

“”You have your friends and family that can come out and support you,”” Harvey said. “”For about 98 percent of the athletes it’s an emotional plus for them. It’s a definite advantage to be on your home track.””