Popular rock anthem celebrates, empowers geeks

On Monday, geek goddess Felicia Day, with producers from her webseries “The Guild,” released a new song and music video titled “I’m the One That’s Cool.” By Tuesday, the song was the number seven most popular rock single on iTunes.

Today, the song is the number six rock single on iTunes, as well as the number one most downloaded pop song from Amazon.

What’s all the hype about?

True – Day is well-known within the geek community for writing, producing, and acting in “The Guild,” a webseries which follows a group of friends who play World of Warcraft together. She has also played roles in “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog,” “Eureka,” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” But the popularity of “I’m the One That’s Cool” seems to stem from somewhere deeper than that. As the lyrics of her song suggest, many people relate to Day because she embraces her inner geek, and shows the rest of the world that it’s OK to do the same.

The song addresses experiences that anyone who’s ever been “uncool” can relate to. Of course, she mentions typical geek activities such as Magic the Gathering and Star Trek: The Next Generation, but she also talks about getting beat up at school, feeling inferior to kids who are “tan and fit and rich,” and wearing glasses and braces.

As the song reaches its chorus, Day declares that geek is becoming chic, “So now you’re out of style as you can be / And I’m in vogue, so you can bite me.”

With a message like this, the catchy rock number offers the perfect balance of confidence, geekiness and sass. It’ll leave practically anybody who’s ever felt unpopular or out of place (haven’t we all?) feeling inspired and empowered.

Do you dig the song? Check it out below, via Felicia Day’s YouTube channel “Geek and Sundry,” and let us know what you think!