Graduates will have a special guest at this year’s commencement: the U.S. Surgeon General

Vadm Murthy

U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Vivek Murthy, will give this year’s commencement speech, the UA announced this week.

Murthy, who was appointed surgeon general in 2014, is responsible for presenting complex scientific information to the general public.

Born to Indian immigrants, Murthy became the youngest physician to ever be appointed surgeon general. He is also the first surgeon general of Indian descent.

With degrees from Harvard University and Yale University, Murthy spent his career advocating for improving public health in areas such as service, clinical care, research and entrepreneurship.

Some of the issues that Murthy has addressed include mental health, tobacco-free living, chronic disease prevention and, most recently, opioid addiction.

Murthy has also demonstrated an exceptional commitment to leadership. While a freshman at Harvard, he co-founded VISIONS Worldwide, a nonprofit organization that sought to raise HIV and AIDS awareness in the U.S. and India. He is also the co-founder of Doctors for America, a national movement consisting of 15,000 medical students and physicians advocating for affordable health care access.

“I’m excited,” said Jeannie Wilkening, a chemical engineering senior. “I think he should have plenty of experiences to talk about. … I am more excited about him speaking than I have been about the past speakers recently.”

The 2016 commencement ceremony will take place May 13 at 7:30 p.m. at Arizona Stadium.

Follow Akshay Syal on Twitter.