Bring a grocery bag of clothes tomorrow, get $10

Savannah Douglas

Bag Some Cash, an event sponsored by Plato’s Closet, offers students a chance to trade a bag of their gently used clothing for cash on the UA Mall from Tuesday to Thursday. A large bag of clothes can be traded in for $20, and a smaller bag can be traded in for $10.

Running low on cash? Are there clothes you haven’t worn in months? The first annual Bag Some Cash event will be held on the UA Mall from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. today, Wednesday and Thursday.

Students will have the opportunity to receive $10 if they bring a grocery bag full of clothes or $20 if they bring a larger sized bag, such as a kitchen-sized garbage bag.

Planned by Bolchalk FReY and sponsored by the UA Office of Sustainability, this event will benefit both Plato’s Closet and TMM Family Services.

Paul O’Rourke, senior director of marketing services at Bolchalk FReY, said Plato’s Closet constantly needs new inventory and that TMM Family Services could really use their clothes for their clients.

He said the UA really focuses on sustainability, and this is a great way for students to earn money by donating their clothes to help others out.

“The more the merrier,” O’Rourke said.

He also said there is no limit to the amount of bags someone can bring, and that there will be no cap to the amount of money they hand out because all the clothing will be used.

O’Rourke said he has been helping his daughter move out from the dorms, and that’s where the idea came from.

He said he was amazed at what some people were throwing out. He said he understands that, in the beginning of the year, students come prepared with a truck full of stuff and, throughout the year, they accumulate more items. By move-out, there isn’t enough room for all of it.

“We want to make it as easy as possible for kids to drop off their bags and get cash,” O’Rourke said, also mentioning they won’t be sifting through the bags.

O’Rourke said right before finals is the perfect time to hold this event, because students can get a jump on moving out and making some money.

_______________

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.