Women’s golf unable to win third straight, tie for third at Silverado Showdown

Stan Liu/Arizona Athletics
Junior Bianca Pagdanganan.

No. 13 Arizona women’s golf came up short of their third straight victory this week, as it finished in a tie for third at the Silverado Showdown in Napa, CA. Arizona had been playing its best golf as of late, winning two tournaments in March, but were bested by two of Pac-12 foes in this tournament.

The Wildcats finished the tournament at 6-over par, 11 shots back of champion No. 5 USC. The Trojans won by 10 strokes over second place California, with USC freshman Jennifer Chang and UCLA freshman Patty Tavatanakit winning the individual title at 8-under par. 

UA junior Bianca Pagdanganan led the way individually for the Wildcats, finishing tied for third at 209 (-7) for the tournament. Pagdanganan was able to capitalize on Par-4 holes, where she finished second in scoring at 4-under par. She also led the tournament in birdies with 16. This marks her third top-10 of the season so far. 

Related:  Bianca Pagdanganan using the warm weather to help women’s golf hit its peak

“I’m proud of how the team battled this week,” UA head coach Laura Ianello said in a press release from Arizona Athletics. “We didn’t have our best ball striking this week, but we finished strong today. Bianca is very close and with continued hard work on her short game she will win any day. Our team is playing well but we can always strive to play better and grow.”

Junior Haley Moore finished in 19th place at 4-over par. She excelled on Par-5 holes this week, shooting 2-under par. This comes as her sixth top-20 finish of the season. Freshman Yu-Sang Hou also came in tied for 19th for her fourth top-20 in five events for her career.  She tied for second in Par-3 scoring at 1-under par.

Junior Gigi Still played the Par-5 holes at 2-under par and shot a final round 73 (+1) to finish tied for 40th. Sophomore Sandra Nordaas finished the tournament tied for 52nd after closing out the tournament with a final round score of 4-over par. 

Despite not winning the Showdown, a top-three finish in still encouraging considering the Pac-12 Championships are less than two weeks away. The Pac-12 Championships will be at Broadmoor Golf Club in Seattle, Wash. on April 22-24.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter