Hackathon brings innovative disruption to campus

Angeline Carbajal

Dhawal Srivastava, center right, a UA student, fixes some glitches in his drone prototype before demonstrating it to judges during Hack Arizona 2015. The 2018 iteration of Hack Arizona will take place from Friday, Jan. 12 through Sunday, Jan. 14.

The University of Arizona is hosting this year’s weekend-long Hackathon event. 2018’s Hackathon features over 800 participants who will build software and hardware projects from start to finish in under 36 hours. 

The event is open to any UA students with or without experience in computer sciences.  

Although the very word ‘hacking’ has a negative connotation, the event does not hold any malicious cyber crime. Instead the event encourages inventors, builders and creators -to undertake projects quickly and interactively. 

RELATED: Internet must remain open for everyone

There will be a tech talk session by sponsors like State Farm and Amazon. In between tech sessions and computer workshops, the event will also feature therapy dogs and stress-busters. There will also be part a hypnotist show. Food will be provided throughout the weekend-long event. 

The event will be hosted in the UA Science and Engineering Library. Hackathon starts from Friday Jan. 12, at 4pm through Sunday, Jan. 14, at noon. 

For more information visit hackarizona.org.

Follow Victor Garcia on Twitter