Former Arizona guard Justin Simon transfers to St. Johns

Sydney Richardson
Arizona freshman guard Justin Simon (3) eyes the court during Arizona’s 94-62 win against Stanford on Saturday, March 5 in McKale Center. Simon has decided to transfer from Arizona, hoping to get more playing time.

After announcing his decommitment from Arizona earlier this month, Justin Simon has chosen to transfer to St. John’s University to continue his collegiate basketball career.

The 6-foot-5 guard averaged 2.3 points per game and 1.2 rebounds in a Wildcat uniform. With many top guards coming to Arizona next season, Simon left to find a program that would give him more minutes.

Simon ranked No. 9 among available transfers on the market in college basketball according to ESPN. Simon will have three years remaining of eligibility at the Red Storm, but will have to sit out all of the 2016-2017 season because of transfer rules.

The news comes just a day after the Red Storm picked up another transfer from Michigan State University: Marvin Clark Jr.

St. John’s is coached by Chris Mullin, who is entering his second year as head coach of the program after going 8-24 in his initial campaign. Mullin is in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and is an alumnus of the Red Storm.

“Justin is an explosive player who we believe will develop well in our program,” Mullin said. “He’s an instinctive playmaker with good court vision and he distributes the ball well. We are glad Justin chose St. John’s for the next chapter of his basketball career.”

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter