Gov. Brewer vetoes guns-on-campus bill

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a bill on April 18 that would have allowed guns to be carried in public rights of way at public universities and community college campuses.

The Arizona House of Representatives had previously approved the measure in a 33-to-24 vote. The bill, designated as Senate Bill 1467, would have allowed firearms to be carried in the open or concealed in places like campus sidewalks, but not into classrooms. Brewer’s signature was required for the bill to become law, but she called it “”poorly written”” in her official veto statement.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the Graduate and Professional Student Council and the Faculty Senate all passed resolutions opposing the proposed legislation.

GPSC President Emily Connally said that Brewer made the “”right move”” by vetoing the bill. Connally explained that the bill contained many flaws, such as a lack of description as to what a public right of way actually was and the fact that the newly written bill did not require constituents to have a concealed weapon permit.

“”In all reality, someone could have shot a gun for the very first time on campus,”” she said.

More than 150 graduate and professional students told Connally that they called the governor asking to veto the bill or lobbied against the bill at the state capitol in Phoenix. According to Connally, five graduate students told her that they supported the bill.

“”She’s right that the bill crossed the line, and (Brewer) made the right decision.”” Connally added.

In Brewer’s official statement explaining her veto, she said the bill did not define public rights of way and could have been interpreted to apply to K-12 schools as well as to universities and community colleges.

ASUA President Emily Fritze said that she was “”very happy”” the governor chose to veto the measure because it showed that she listened to many of her constituents, including the state universities, students and faculty members who expressed concern. Fritze said the veto also showed that student and faculty efforts did not go to waste because organizing, lobbying and being involved in the political process helped in some way.  

Elma Delic, board chair of the Arizona Students’ Association, said that although ASA did not take an official stance on the bill, all of the student governments across the state were opposed to it.

“”I’m happy that the governor listened to student voice and opinions across the state,”” Delic said.