ASUA discusses UA student regent election

Brandi Walker

MIchael Finnegan, ASUA Chief of Staff, delivers a presentation about the University of Arizona student regent at Wednesday, Sept. 2’s student government meeting.

ASUA discussed student involvement on campus and the upcoming UA student regent election this afternoon at their first meeting of the academic year.

Many opportunities are opening for student involvement through these discussions. Involving incoming freshman is the main target for Associated Students of the University of Arizona this year.

ASUA stated that the number of students who attended Bear Down Camp this August was larger than they have ever received. They encourage students to attend club fairs and Family Weekend, where students can get involved on the UA Mall with their parents or other relatives by their sides.

The September newsletter came out yesterday, which lists events throughout the year for students to get involved. ASUA Sen. Natalie Scibilia said she hopes to see more senators and students at these events in the future, as she believes it will help ASUA to gain more student involvement this year.

There are two student regents; one is voted into office and the other shadows the first. Nominating student regents started in 1978 and Arizona was one of the last states to be impacted.

The student regents are elected in rotation between the UA, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University.

Michael Finnegan, a senator for ASUA last year, discussed the election for the new UA student regent and what is required to apply.

“The student regent has to be a full-time student with a 2.0 GPA and an in-state resident,” Finnegan said. “Applications are available online.”

ASUA will be formally invited to confirm the three semi-finalists on Nov. 18. The finalist nomination will be sent to Gov. Doug Ducey for a final vote and if he doesn’t agree with the vote, then the nomination will be sent to the Arizona state legislature.

The Arizona Board of Regents consists of 12 members and eight volunteer members. According to Finnegan, the board deals with the issues of tuition, research, code of conduct and academic integrity.

Applications open on Sept. 8, and the finalist will be chosen on Nov. 19.

Follow Gabriella Vukelic on Twitter.